1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from VCR to DVDR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sdh500, Aug 4, 2003.

1. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to transfer a recording from a VCR a DVD Recorder - like the Phillips DVDR70 for example? Would it be done simply via the Scart connection between the two?

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is possible.A Scart connection will do it.If the vhs is copy protected you will need a Smart Scart to eliminate it.SP+ will keep the quality the same as the source

3. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks phelings

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    It is indeed possible. I recommend using reasonable quality Scarts (you don't need to OTT) and, for best results, use a Copymate (available from the likes of Keene.co.uk or Lektropacks). If you haven't already purchased a DVDR then, IMHO, you'd be better off with one with Flexible Record to maximise quality when archiving unless you intend to archive less than 1hr per disk (in which case you'll be at maximum bitrate anyway).

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sdh500. I too can confirm that recording from VHS to a DVD recorder using ordinary scart connections is just fine. Spent the last year doing just that.

I would think seriously about the Panny format as from the complaints I have read regarding the plus format is that they don't behave too well if the VHS tape is of dubios quality. On the other hand I can confirm that any quality tape can be thrown at the Panny machines without a whisper of a problem.

The panny format has FR (Flexible rate) option which is truly invaluable for obtaining the best qualit/Fit ratio.

You can also be confident that you will see no quality loss due to the copying of VHS to DVD-R. In fact the result you get is a rock solid stabe picture once on DVD unlike VHS whose instability is always present. What I mean by that is you can always tell when you are watching "Tape". You can't tell when you are watching DVD as the picture is rock solid.

6. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, guys. I haven't yet bought the DVD recorder but you've given me a little more to think about regarding which model to buy. Having read a lot of reviews I am now seriously thinking about the Panasonic DMR-E50. I particularly like the idea of being able to edit out adverts which I don't think is possible with a Philips so I am definitley veering towards Panasonic.

Raszcak, I reckon I will try recording first without a Copymate, since according to Malcolm I most probably won't need one, but thanks for the advice. Also, my VCR is a Panasonic so I guess that might help both machines "communicate" with each other.

Malcolm, I can well imagine it took up a lot of your time last year. I've got a couple of weeks off later this month and I doubt I'll be doing much else!

Can't wait to be able to lose my VCR once and for all - it's so 20th century!

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes quite - don't spend the money unless you have to. I archived around 50 VHS videos before I ran into one which had degraded sufficiently to make the copymate a worthwhile purchase. If you do get one make sure you get the cheaper composite only one unless you have a SVHS.

I strong recommend the E50 BTW given that it has Variable Bitrate and Flexible Record. For VHS archiving it is, without a doubt, head and shoulders above the Philips equivalents (which to be fair aren't aimed at people who want to do that).

8. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an SVHS player, Rasczak, so I may have to dig a bit deeper, should I need one.

By the way, once I have finished archiving my VHS I am hoping to use the recorder much like a VCR. I currently have a Pace twin digital box and can keep up to 10 hours of TV stuff at one time so I am not so concerned with recording directly from the tv to the DVD recorder, but would like to be able to transfer from the Pace hard disk to the recorder if I decide to keep something. I trust this won't be a problem with a Panasonic, at least I can't imagine it being one.

How do you now use your recorder, now that you've archived your VHS stuff?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes I use my E50 just like this in my 'upstairs' AV setup. I use it primarily for recording from digital terrestrial as well as a DVD player.

I use the Panasonic HS2 in my 'Home Cinema' to archive stuff from Sky+. I copy it over, edit out the advert breaks and dub to DVD-RAM using FR whereby I transfer the recording to my PC and author with a custom menu etc to DVD-R.

10. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HS2? Very nice. That's Panasonic's flagship recorder I believe. Custom menu authoring, too - I reckon that beats a black magic marker any day!

11. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Raszcak is right to suggest a copymate if your budget allows. I havent used one because at the time DVD recorders being new and I couldn't get conformation that they worked ok with Panny DVD machines. Apparently they do!!

The fact that I have the E20 and E30 allows me to use the adjustments of the E20 to modify color etc if need be. Not as good as having copymate which can do more but it has made me not bother with such a device as I am happy with the results I am getting.

But if your budget allows then it would be very useful. I have read that they also make the copying of encrypted VHS tapes more likely if you want to preserve your collection.. But I cannot confirm that.......

12. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Where online can I buy a copymate from?

Cheers

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned: