recording from television onto pc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by donna, Mar 26, 2006.

1. donna

donna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not that brill at computers but is it possible to watch a film on the the television and record it on my pc using the dvd player on the pc, if it is possible what sort of set up do i need. I have a laptop using windows xp sp2 and i have a plasma tv

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    You would need a tv card installed on the pc, either via the pci slot or the usb cable. Cards such as these usually come with software enabling you to record directly to the hard drive.

3. donna

donna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have nvidia installed on my pc is this the same thing or not, sorry for comming accross as being a bit stupid but i dont have that much knowledge on pc's

4. scragend

scragend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nvidia sounds like a graphics card to me; this is not the same as a TV card.

As you have a laptop you would probably need one of the USB ones.

I just did a quick Google search for "tv card laptop" and this site was the top match :

You might be able to get cheaper ones/better ones for the same price from somewhere else. I'm not really up to date with them.

Out of interest I use a Winfast TV2000XP TV card in my desktop PC and have never had any problems with it. Don't know if they do one for laptops though.

5. donna

donna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks for all you help.:)