Recording from Sky+ using Smartlink - does it work?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by CharlesElliott, Sep 27, 2004.

1. CharlesElliott

CharlesElliott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky+ and a Sony SLE-SL740 video (I also have a Sony DX32-100 TV but I don't think that's relevant).

I'd like to use the Sky+/Sony Smartlink feature when recording stored Sky+ programs off onto tape but i can't get the video to recognise any Smartlink signal from the Sky+ box. Has anyone got this working?

I currently have the following connections:

Sky+ VCR Scart <=> Video Scart 1
    Sky+ TV Scart <=> TV

Everything seems to work well (switching to video signal when video is on, recording from Sky+) - it's just that Smartlink doesn't work!#

Cheers,

Charles

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Yes, I have the equivalent of Smartlink working fine. Check that the scart input on the VCR is the correct one for Smartlink to work - it's usually only one of the two that's compatible.

3. CharlesElliott

CharlesElliott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but it definitely doesn't work on either of the two video SCARTS. Any other suggestions?

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thinking further, we might be mixing terms here. Smartlink, and the other companies' alternatives, are protocols for communication between TVs and recording devices.

What is needed for your set-up is communication between a satellite box and a VCR.

My VCR has a 'satellite-link' facility, where the VCR stays in a standby mode until it receives the trigger signal from the Sky+, 'telling' it to start recording. Recording then stops at the end of the programme. This is separate from the Smartlink system. Sorry for the confusion.