1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from Sky+ to Laptop with DVD writer

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mr BooM, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Mr BooM

Mr BooM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has recorded a saved program fron their Sky+ to a laptop with a DVD writer in ?

I have both of the above and wanted to record a few programs off my Sky+ box to a DVD disc using my laptop so I can save the program indefinately.

Mr BooM :D

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi Mr BooM & welcome to the forum!

You can record from Sky+ to a PC/laptop with a DVD recorder as long as you have the correct ports on the PC.
    Sky+ only has analogue outputs, so the PC will need to have either a composite or S-Video input and a soundcard with a stereo input (line in or could use mic in). Another method would be to add an AV>USB device and capture via this. The final DVD quality is likely to be fairly low via these methods.
    Another, better quality option is to remove the HDD from Sky+ and connect it to your laptop. This is a bit of a taboo subject as it is illegal and therefore we are not allowed to discuss it on these forums. A bit of internet searching should give you the info you need to do this though.

Mark.

3. Mr BooM

Mr BooM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mark thx for your help m8.

Mr BooM :D

4. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So is it possible to do the reverse, copy films from your pc to the sky+ hd if you remove it.

5. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I didn't think this HDD swaping worked with Pcs because + uses its own OS. However I'll bow to MarkE19s knowledge, but fail to see how it's illegal. You can archieve stuff from + so I dont see why swapping HDD about infringes any law (voids warranty I'd have thought). Has Mark or Andy actually used either technique or is it just theory?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Even if you could access the files on the HD there is still the small matter of the encryption which is intact on SKY+ recordings, there have been claims of manipulating the FTA programming stored on the HD but I've yet to see definitive proof or at least a step by step hoe to guide. Even if accessing FTA recordings were possible using a Dsat or DTT pc card would be more practicle for the non-subscription recordings.

I suspect MarkE19 is referring more to the discussion of breaking encryption as opposed to voiding warranties and how copyright is defined.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Exactly! Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

I should also make itr clear that I have never owned Sky+ and am only repeating what I have seen others claiming to have done. I do own a TiVo and do know of people (and have seen the step by step guide) that have ripped programs from its HDD, so assume it is just as easy/possible with Sky+

Mark.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    TIVO takes an analogue input and then encodes it to an mpegII file for recording onto it's hard drive while the SKY+ records the digital bitstream straight from it's internal tuners to the hard drive which means no loss of quality and all the encryption intact.
    So even if you could read the files you would still need to run them through a Videoguard decoder with a SKY smartcard and no such beast exists.

There is still the question of being able to access recordings that have no encryption (BBC for example) and while SKY+ uses a FAT(32?) file system there is also an added layer (RASP) which is used to enable fast and easy access to gigabyte sized files and that would surely complicate things.
    Thankfully I've never felt the need to take out my SKY+ hard drive, put it in my PC and tinker with it:)

9. george57

george57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, george, here, ok ,i have lots of stuff on my sky+ planner, i want to get my snooker of it and things , how do i do it, explain in a simple terms please not techical, great site, also , what the cheapest why to play games on my laptop. and what to do on getting it to work, some costs, £800 for laptop, surly i can upgrade, cheaper with my laptop. looking for help here guys,.george, thanks.:hiya:

10. girlintrouble

girlintrouble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Hope I m not confusing matters by asking- isnt it possible to save the program from SKY+ to a DVD recorder using standard TV in out scart etc?

Isnt the objective to keep the copy simple? Or is the OP needing to do it to HDD in one step for some reason? Surely going straight to DVD (if it is at all possible) would be the preference as it would be hogging space on his PC (as they get full too lol)

Or is it a lack of a standalone DVD recorder which is the issue?

;-)