1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from SKY to DVD Recorder HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bu5ter, Sep 15, 2005.

1. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hi all

I have just purchased a Panasonic DMR-ES10 and very nice it is too for the money. I am just playing around trying to get best recording from sky and have hit a weird problem. I have connected the TV AV channel from didgibox to the AV2 input on DVD Rec and set both ends to RGB. This enables me to use scart loopthrough and not have to connect a second scart to tv from digibox. now with the recorder in standby the sky box switches on and picture comes out great and widescreen where appropriate, as soon as i switch on the recorder the picture turns black and white?????

Now if i set the AV2 input on the recorder to accept a "video signal instead of RGB this problem goes away but why would I wasnt to do that. Readin the manual it states that to record sky I should take the VCR scart connection from the digibox to the AV2 but the problem here is that this doesnt put out in RGB only standard video and picture is terrible flickering etc and also because of this scart loopthrough does not work on this socket.

Now I could live with the fact that it works when i set the recorder to accept a video signal but why does it do this it bugging the hell out of me!!! and why do panasonic suggest using the VCR scart do sky restrict recording from an RGB source to sell SKY+ boxes???

Any thougths appreciated for reference sky box is Grundig.

2. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I also have the ES10 and have it connected how you have:

SKY+ --> ES10 (AV2) ---> ES10 (AV1) ---> Plasma

Both RGB and widescreen switching etc work just fine !

Only issue I have (very very minor) is that if I leave the DVD recorder on by mistake and watch Sky, the lip sync on my plasma is out a bit .. switch off the ES10 and everythings fine !

Lip sync is not affected on recordings.

BTW: Do you have the bug on the ES10 that makes it auto start recording when theres a recordable disc in the drive? If so, the firware upgrade posted on the DVD Recorders forum sorts that one easily !

3. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hmmm are you using the TV or VCR scart socket on your SKY+ box...and I dont know if the SKY+ is different in this respect mine is bog standard cheap sky:)

in the recorder menu have you got the av2 input set to RGB, Video or RBG/VIDEO

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Are you sure that your recorder is set to output s-video instead of RGB on the main output? When you switch it on, could be that it overrides the RGB signal being passed through and outputs a 'monitoring' signal via s-video. The SCART on the TV can be configured to accept either RGB or s-video but not both.

I saw something similar on my panasonic which when in monitoring mode (ie out of standby but not actually recording anything) would give a composite signal without widescreen switching. Very confusing if you were monitoring the same source that you had previously been passing through.

cheers,

Gav

Gav

5. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Nice idea but no im afraid what i really dont understand is that as i only have the one output going from my sky box when the recorder is in standby and sky is passing through why does it work ok then widescreen switching and full rgb glory...if the dvd otu was not right surely this owuld be a problem????