Recording from Sky+ - s-video or scart

Cardiff Irons

Standard Member
Reaction score
There seems to be mixed views on this topic. I have Sky+ connected via component to a Denon 2105 (via JS converter) for viewing, but for recording I take Sky+ directly into a Panasonic E65 (the E65 then connects separately to the Denon amp via component). I originally had Sky+ connected to the E65 via scart, but someone suggested s-video would give a better picture. Tried it out and I'm not impressed.

Anyone got any ideas why PQ is not so good with s-video? Do I need to change any settings on the DVDR or Sky+ to improve things?

Thanks in advance for any input. :thumbsup:

Where you running RGB scart or standard scart in the SKY + settings.
RGB scart has a better PQ then S-Video.

Eddy Boy said:
Where you running RGB scart or standard scart in the SKY + settings.
RGB scart has a better PQ then S-Video.
Eddy, I was running RGB scart (good quality one as well).

Hold on a moment, I think I understand the confusion.

Someone mentioned to me that the AV Scart on Sky+ sends a composite signal only, not RGB, hence the recommendation to use s-video rather than scart. Can anyone confirm this?

The VCR scart does only output composite so s-video would probably be better than this. This person probably assumed you were using the RGB output from the Sky+ TO your JS converter to give better PQ.

I have Sky+ and an E65 and have TV out scart to E65 AV2, both set to RGB for best recording quality. you can then take E65 out AV1 (RGB scart) to JS converter and use this to convert both to component as it is probably better than the internal converter on your E65. Could still take the component from E65 to amp if you wanted to.

Might be worth a try to give best recording PQ and TV PQ possible.

Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32 said:
The VCR scart does only output composite so s-video would probably be better than this. This person probably assumed you were using the RGB output from the Sky+ TO your JS converter to give better PQ.

I have Sky+ and an E65 and have TV out scart to E65 AV2, both set to RGB for best recording quality. you can then take E65 out AV1 (RGB scart) to JS converter and use this to convert both to component as it is probably better than the internal converter on your E65. Could still take the component from E65 to amp if you wanted to.

Might be worth a try to give best recording PQ and TV PQ possible.

Wackojacko32
Thanks Wacko, real shame that Sky+ VCR won't output RGB. :thumbsdow Daisychaining means that I would lose the AV switching benefits of the amp.

The main reason I separated out the Sky+ and DVDR feeds to the amp, was that when I daisychained but connected Sky+ audio direct to amp it caused lip sync. Not sure whether taking video out of AV1 of the E65 would eliminate this - I'll give it a try.

I dont get lip sync issues using RGB passthrough via Scart so may be worth a try. The difference being you are upconverting to component which may be the problem, i.e. causing the video delay.

Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32 said:
I dont get lip sync issues using RGB passthrough via Scart so may be worth a try. The difference being you are upconverting to component which may be the problem, i.e. causing the video delay.

Wackojacko32
Wacko, I tried daisy chaining last night (Sky+ via scart to E65, E65 via scart to JS Box) but lip sync became a real issue again. I'm wondering what's different between your set up and mine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom