Recording from Sky+ (Channel changing)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by compton fox, Oct 21, 2004.

1. compton fox

compton fox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all. First post. Probably obvious answer but.....

I upgraded from Sky to Sky+ last week. I record most things to the hard drive, and that is fine.

However, there are instances where I am away from home for a long period of time, and my hard drive becomes full. I had assumed that I could set my video to record other programmes and that I could set my Sky+ box to automatically change channels to the programme I wished to tape (this is what I used to do with my old Sky box).

In reality, all I seem to be able to do on my Sky+ box is set a reminder, which requires me to be at home and press SELECT in order to change channels. My old Sky box would change channels automaticallly while I was away from home, so why doesn't the Sky+ box do this? Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Other than upgrading your hard disk there doesn't seem to be a solution to this.

3. john039

john039

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi compton fox,
    If you previously recorded to VCR from Sky when you were away then all you would have been able to record would be 8 hours of programmes (4 hour tape on long play).
    With Sky+ you are now able to record approximately 20 hours of programmes, this is 2 1/2 times as much as you did before...is this still inadequate?
    If so then your only option is to do as bobcar suggests and upgrade your hard drive.
    In reality if you are gonna record more than 20 hours of programmes while you are away then just how/when are you gonna get chance to watch them?

4. compton fox

compton fox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I hear what you're saying, john039!

In theory, I realise I should have more than enough space for recordings. However, I tend to be away over weekends and am a bit of a footie fanatic...we could be talking 4 games over that period, and in reality the harddrive is never fully emptied. (I tend to watch the games at x2 or x6 if they're boring, so I'm not rooted to my armchair for days!).

It's not a HUGE issue with me. I was just surprised that Sky decided to discard a perfectly good feature of their standard digibox.

Thanks for the reply anyway.