Recording from SCART on a UK Tivo Box

fluffert

Novice Member
Reaction score
On the V+ box, it was possible to record from the SCART, even while watching TV/Other recordings as normal. I don't see the same option on Tivo, which suggests this is not a feature provided by this box.

You can still record from this to DVD/PC Capture/Stand alone PVR, etc. but does the signal carry colour to drive an RCA Audio/S-Vhs video signal to the external device?

The reason I ask is that I used a scart to composite/s-vhs and then to HD PVR for recording from V+. This gave the option of a Composite ot S-VHS video signal. BUt using the same set-up on the Tivo only provides a B&W signal when using S-VHS. It does still provide colour over Composite.

It could be the connector/cable combination that I'm using, but before I go looking for a new connector/cable, I thought I'd check to see if I'm wasting my time. If colour is not possible via S-VHS from the Tivo SCART, then I'll settle for Composite (or look into HDMI as a source for recording to HD PVR).

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Welcome to the forums, I'm sure you will get some suggestions soon!

The Tivo doesn't unfortunately allow for archived content on its hard drive to be output via scart while using the receiver to view other content. The only way to record anything being output via the SCART output is if playing that content as you'd play it to view it. The SCART output is RGB video and stereo audio and is no different to any other analogue SCART output. I pressume your PVR has component video iputs? If so then this is the type of cable you'd need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-Y...1449761625&sr=8-1&keywords=SCART+to+component

No recorder can record using HDMI. HDMI uses HDCP content protection which will apply to all TV and comercial content. An HDMI output would detect the presence of an HDMI recording device and would refuse to output anything.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The Tivo doesn't unfortunately allow for archived content on its hard drive to be output via scart while using the receiver to view other content. The only way to record anything being output via the SCART output is if playing that content as you'd play it to view it. The SCART output is RGB video and stereo audio and is no different to any other analogue SCART output. I pressume your PVR has component video iputs? If so then this is the type of cable you'd need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-Y...1449761625&sr=8-1&keywords=SCART+to+component

No recorder can record using HDMI. HDMI uses HDCP content protection which will apply to all TV and comercial content. An HDMI output would detect the presence of an HDMI recording device and would refuse to output anything.

I don't see how this lead could work:

1. The description says that the lead is one-way and the SCART end is wired only for input.

2. Even if it were wired two-way, the RGB output of the Tivo is incompatible with a component input (YPbPr) on any other device.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
So the TiVo's RGB output doesn't work with any other device then? Does that really sound plausible?????

Sorry, I missed the bit where you offered a solution? :)

So the TiVo's RGB output doesn't work with any other device then? Does that really sound plausible?????

Component isn't RGB. Some DVDR's will record RGB others will not. Those that do should only require a standard fully wired scart cable (RGB recording is normally setup using a menu option). Those that do not record RGB record composite (CVBS) which is also on all scart cables (the composite video connection provides the video synch for a RGB connection).

scart connector diagram - DDC Yahoo Search Results

Scart can be used for component but only if the source device has component out. The topfield pvrs had component output (You can't use RGB and Component at the same time as they use the same pins on the socket).

I never suggested that I was offering a solution, so there was no need for your sarcastic remark. I was merely pointing out that yours wouldn't work, to save the OP wasting time and money on the lead you had suggested. As Grahamlthompson has said, component isn't the same as RGB, which you did not seem to appreciate.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom