Recording from Phono Pre-Amp to laptop

Chalklands

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a need to record one of my vinyl lp's to my laptop (usb input on the laptop). I currently have a Musical Fidelity LX2-LPS Phono Stage.
Excuse my ignorance, but is it just a case of attaching a rca - USB cable via the outputs on the phono stage and then recording on the laptop with audacity or similar?

I have a need to record one of my vinyl lp's to my laptop (usb input on the laptop). I currently have a Musical Fidelity LX2-LPS Phono Stage.
Excuse my ignorance, but is it just a case of attaching a rca - USB cable via the outputs on the phono stage and then recording on the laptop with audacity or similar?

You'll need some kind of USB interface to get the analog signal into the laptop ie. something like the Behringer unit below. But other than that, yes just use Audacity or similar to record the input.

The Behringer has a phono / line level input switch, so you can either connect your TT directly (phono) or via your LX2-LPS Phono Stage (line).

You can get slightly more professional USB interfaces from the likes of Focusrite, PreSonus and M-Audio. The Focusrite Scarlett units are well liked and a good semi-pro/budget option. But you're likely paying for inputs/outputs and features (ie. phantom power) that you'll never use. For a one-off job the Behringer or similar will likely be all you need.

Amazon product ASIN B002GHBYZ0

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom