1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from NTSC Tapes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by coolscanner, Sep 4, 2005.

1. coolscanner

coolscanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to record an NTSC recording (from VCR) onto DVD HDD or DVD-RAM however the image/recorded picture has a black line at the bottom of the screen when fed through the DVD Recorder (when fed directly from the VCR to the TV, the picture is perfect, colour, etc.).

If I set-up the DVD Recorder to NTSC I get a purely B+W picture.

Any recommendations on how to get colour onto the DVDE Recorder.

The VCR , DVD Recorder and TV are all Panasonic (max 2 years old).

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I suspect that your VCR is ouputting PAL60, not NTSC. I have a Sony VCR that has a switch on the back to swap from PAL60 to NTSC, don't know about the Panasonics. Alternatively, my Pioneer DVD recorder can be set to record PAL, PAL60 or NTSC. Again I don't know about your Pany. But I reckon if you get them matched properly you'll get a good copy.

Regards

Mark

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    I seem to recall reading that Panasonic DVDR machines will only accept true NTSC and won't handle PseudoPAL (aka PAL60).

I equally seem to recall that Panasonic VHS machines with the ability to replay NTSC tapes do so only in PseudoPAL and not true NTSC.

However I am quite unsure about both of these. What is fairly certain is that you do have a mis-match going on, and it is most likely that the VHS is producing PseudoPAL and the DVDR is looking for NTSC and this is why you get monochrome.

Basically what you need to do is find out from the manuals if either machine can be switched to match the other. Otherwise, you have a problem. And need either a true NTSC VCR or a DVDR that can handle PseudoPAL (as the Pioneers do).

Annoying, isn't it, when you buy matched brands and they don't work together.