1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from Nokia 221T to Video recorder

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Weinberg, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    (PLEASE READ MY REPLY FOR AN UPDATE)

The Freeview box is a Nokia 221T and the video recorder is a SLV-SE610G.
    Basically it seems that I have to attach a scart cable from the bottom socket on the Nokia box to the bottom of the video, and an RF cable from the bottom Nokia socket to the top Video one. THEN I have to attach an RF cable from the bottom socket on the video, to the TV. Firstly why do I have to do that last bit? Isn't the video connected to the TV by scart enough?
    The problem is that I can't attach an RF cable from the bottom socket of the Nokia to the video, as another cable is inserted there already. It's a cable which enables the home tv 'network' to work, if I take it out then all the other (terrestrial or digital) tvs lose any signal. So if I can't do this, how else do I get it to work? I just want to record from my Digibox to my Video Recorder, and it seems confusing. Also-do I have to setup the video to 'accept' a signal from the Nokia box now?
    Thanks for reading, hope you can understand and help me out! (BTW no jargon please!)

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you connect your 221T to your VCR with a Scart cable then the VCR will record whatever is coming out of the 221T when you tell it to record from AV (or when its timer tells it to record from AV rather than from a channel number). If this isn't clear, read the VCR manual to see how to set up a recording session from an AV input.

If you connect your 221T to your TV set with a Scart lead, you can watch whatever programme is coming out of the 221T when you select the AV input on your TV.

If you want to pipe your 221T pictures (and mono sound) around the house then you will have to connect its RF output to those TVs somehow. Usually via an amplified splitter distribution system.

Now for the problematic part. If you want your 221T to work at all, you need to connect your TV aerial to it directly with (preferably) a single, continuous run of (preferably) double-shielded (eg. satellite) coax cable.

This may give the problem that your aerial is now connected to the 221T and nothing else (including your TV). So if you want to watch ordinary analogue TV then you'll have to connect your 221T aerial OUTPUT socket to your TV or TVs - possibly via your VCR or via your amplified splitter distribution system.

Basically whatever your TV aerial is connected to first (at the moment) you have to connect your 221T output socket there instead and connect the aerial to the 221T aerial input.

Simple to say but may require a bit of wall bashing and plastering to implement! And remember to use double-shielded cable wherever possible.

If none of this makes sense then you ought to read the eBook "Piping TV Around the House". A sort of idiot's guide in fairly simple language. Includes diagrams.
    http://www.The-Cool-Book-Shop.com

Fman

(Typos corrected)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Basically if everything is currently connected (except the VCR) and works the way you want, then the only connection you need to add is the scart from digibox to VCR and tell VCR to record via the AV input. You do not need the RF cable to go anywhere other than to the units with internal tuners you want to be able to receive the analogue TV signal. ie if you watch TV via the TV's built in tuner you need the RF connection to TV. If not then you don't need it!

Mark.

4. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok I've figured out how to make the VCR record from the digibox, and it works fine. The only thing is that as it's recording exactly from the digibox via a scart lead, if I change channel on the Nokia digibox then it all appears when the recording is played back. Isn't there a way of stopping this and recording from digital TV whilst watching another channel? Obviously, all the VCR is doing is capturing exactly what we'd see on the TV normally, and putting it onto video. This is only annoying in case someone changes the digibox channel by accident when the VCR is recording, or if you want to watch another channel on the same TV.

Help please!!

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    That's the joy of external digi boxes.
    What you see on screen is what will be recorded to the VCR. The only exception is if you watch (or record) an analogue channel.
    To watch one channel and record another you need 2 digi boxes or a digi box with 2 digi tuners. The only one of these at the moment is the Pace Twin.

Mark.