1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from HD to DVHS

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by museumsteve, Jun 22, 2004.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    has anyone experience of recording HD material from a harddrive to DVHS? Are there any recommended tapes to use (available in the UK), I know you can use SVHS tapes but I assume some are better than others.
    Also, using DVHS tool any pointers or is it fairly straight forward?

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    check out the forum on hdtvmedia they maybe able to help :)

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    :) thanks mate..

4. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend actual JVC DVHS tapes as they are deffinetly superior to anything else. Unfortunately, the are also VERY expensive. I was using TDX XP-PRO svhs tapes until a while ago as they are now discountinued, which is a shame as they were reasonably cheap and weren't too far off the quality of DVHS tapes. I am currently using TDK XP tapes which aren't as good as the Pro version, there is a definate difference in PQ and audio quality, but they are cheap enough and the picture still inpresses in comparison to dvd. You can order them from www.pricebuster.org.uk.

I've used DVHStools but I would recommend CAPDVHS instead. Although I've only just started using these programs, I find CAPDVHS better. It will allow to stream the signal thru your DVHS player without recording (which I think DVHSTools can do as well, but I wasn't able to get it to work!). I have found though that while recording and viewing the film, at the same time, everything runs smoothly with no dropouts or pixelating, but on playing back the recorder tape, there are dropouts and pixelating (I found DVHSTolls worse for this). I don't know whether this is down to the quality of the tape or settings on CAPDVHS (to be honest there aren't many) or the DVHS player itself. Let me know if you find out any useful info on this subject.

David

5. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a bit fiddly to do, but quite possible. Tape wise I've had success with most S-VHS types - I've tried Maxell (XR-S 180 & 240), JVC (SV180 & SV240) and the Fuji SE-180's. The JVC are the cheapest and seem to work OK but some people seem to report they are of lower quality. You can punch a hole in the bottom if you want to avoid the delay while the machine recognises there is a D-VHS recording on the tape and switches modes.

To be honest I've never found any differencew between S-VHS and JVC D-VHS tapes in terms of quality.

DVHStool is a little buggy but it works. Make sure you have nothing running in the background on the PC which might interrupt a steady flow off the hard disk.

Recording errors due to the tape tend to be of a green block type on the screen, recording errors in the transport stream tend to be areas of pixelisation on the screen. If you're getting errors, try running the transport stream through tstoatsc (you can find it with a google search or look in avsforums.com) first - I've managed to get perfect recording of some streams which I just couldn't get to record without errors beforehand using that tool.

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    thanks chaps. I should be getting a firewire card and a 10m cable this week so may have a bash on the weekend :)

7. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10m is pretty long for firewire. It might work, it might not, but if you get lots of errors try a shorter cable.

8. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pdundas, I had a look at tstoatsc, but it appears abit confusing. Could you give a short explanation of how to use it?

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I wanted to use 10m cos I want to leave PC and DVHS player in place. I found some on the web that say no signal loss over that length so I hope it is the case. If it struggles maybe I'll go for 5m and just lug it in when I wanna use it :)

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    well I finally grabbed a firewire card and a 4.2m cable today (all I could find) and have spent most of the night playing aorund with DVHStool and CAPdvhs. DVHStools has some nice options which tend to make you feel there is more to it, CAPdvhs just works. I messed around with a Bikini Destinations file, DVHStool (few versions right up to 2.2beta) all struggled within a minute or so and had regular dropouts/glitches. I did the same with CAPdvhs and got 15 minutes (all I've tried so far) with just one noticeable glitch, very impressed.
    I'm a little disappointed that avsforum has so much coverage of DVHStool but virtually no mention of CAPdvhs.
    Simple question (hopefully) for anyone that's used CAPdvhs, how do you join multiple files and if it's simply a case of adding to the file list, do they join seamlessly?
    I'm now loving this cos I'd much rather archive this stuff to tape.
    :)

11. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There is one program I know of which can join the files to a single file or to files of a specific size, eg. DVD size. It is called "Null packet stripper" which also shrinks the size of the files without loosing quality by deleting empty pid's within the program stream.
    http://www.hometheatersoftware.com/

Jim.

It runs under Java which you will have to install as well, read carefully.

12. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With Capdvhs and Dvhstools, if you add multiple files, it will seamlessly join them together when recording to tape (well it has for me).

13. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    ran into a little hiccup tonight while trying to archive some of this HD stuff to DVHS. Some of the movies get the player to throw up an error (Rec Proh 103). I archived Resi Evil and Matrix fine but trying T3, FMJ and 28 Days Later all error'd.

14. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ran into the same problem with some films as well. You'll need to run them thru TSTOATSC. Once done, you can then record with no problems.

15. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    excellent thanks mate. All sorted. My brother was so impressed with all this HD stuff he' bought a stonking PC today and has ordered a DVHS player (lol).
    I was amazed at the difference in file size after running through TStoATSC. T3 went from around 7.5GB to 14.2GB hehe..fortnately it doesn't really matter when putting onto tape :)

16. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    bit of an update and a question for those that are successfully archiving.
    I'm getting some very good results but wondered what others are doing prior to recording back to DVHS. After running through TStoATSC do you also run through HDTVtoMPEG2 or simply record without that step. If you do run through HDTVtoMPEG2 is there a specific reason as the files are already in .ts format and TStoATSC has done the main job of cleaning everything up, hasn't it?

17. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the name suggests the HDTVtoMPEG2 with convert the .ts file to a MPEG2 file which as far as I know (I may be wrong) will not play thru a dvhs player.

18. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    hmmm..but HDTVtoMPEG2 gives option to output a Transport Stream (and I use it at the moment). I was under the impression that it is used to join the 100+ files you get after TStoATSC'ing. My main thinking is what is the benefit of doing this prior to recording? Would there be a natural difference between recording 100+ 137mb files or 3 lots of 4GB files, if you see what I mean

19. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, my mistake :oops: on the hdtvtompeg2 front!!

I don't know of any benefit to what you're saying. I can only say when i've tried to record to dvhs with 3 seperate large files (as they are when downloaded from the newsgroups), I get a slight pause or stutter when dvhs tools goes onto the next files in the recording sequence. When I record after running the stream thru TStoATSC and end up with lots of files, it records perfectly with no pauses or stutters between each individual file. I don't have a clue why that is....

By the way, I don't suppose you've tried adding a 5.1 soundtrack to a .ts file/files which are only 2.0??

20. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have. Did it with Gangs of New York. Only slight possible downside is you have to convert it to an mpg file first. No conversion though so no loss of quality. Result is excellent. There's a thread over on the HDTVMedia site in the Muxing forum with instructions. You use ProjectX and tmpgenc.

21. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I'm not sure where I got the whole HDTVtoMPEG2 thing from, prior to recording. Do you use SVHS or DVHS tapes? I'm really curious as to why I still get some issues on recording. My firewire cable is 4.2m, my PC is pretty chunky and I disable everything (even the network) when recording.

Sorry for the questions mate but it's one of those situations where you hear of people who get just about perfect results and I'm doing everything I should (I think) and dont get perfect reesults.
    As for adding 5.1, no. I haven't got that far yet, a full length movie would be a nice start for me :D

22. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Don't know if it helps but ProjectX makes a perfect job of joining the individual 4GB (or so) files into one large TS file.

23. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    As I was getting issues with recording say 3 x 4GB files I was starting to wonder if buffering was becoming an issue, whereas 137mb files should be easy to handle.
    I guess what I really need to hear is someone that gets spot perfect results in everyway and they do it using ???? setup.