Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Recording from freeview to Sony GX300.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by videonasty, Jan 18, 2005.

1. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm having major problems in trying to record from my freeview box to my Sony GX300 :mad: It will just not do it! Could it be something to do with the fact I'm running my GX300 through component?

Has anyone got any tips? :confused:

2. baxter

baxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sony gx 300 also. I have recently learnt from this forum this machine does not have a digital tuning system.
    I get free view through my digital television as aposse to a box and know this recorder will only record the digital channels of the tv via the scart lead into line one of the recorder.
    This line I have set to video in the scart set up menu.
    I have to have the tv set to output the channel and watch it at the same time.
    Line three of the recorder as a scart lead directly from the sky system and picks up and records these channels no problem.

3. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Because I've got my DVD hooked up to my TV with component leads, do you think it may record from freeview, if I connect the outgoing scart from the Freeview box to line 1 on the DVD recorder?

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It should do. But you will not be able to watch one freeview channel while recording another.

5. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    What would happen if I recorded something while I was out, would I have to leave the TV on?

6. baxter

baxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get free view via your tv you will have to use a scart lead from your tv to line one of the recorder. in this case you will only be able to record the digital channel you are using. You will have to leave the tv on, but I am told by Sony, although I've not tried it you can put your tv into standby mode.
    Line two of the recorder is an output channel
    Line three is for the sky system with a scart connector.
    Line four which I use from my free view digi box as three jack plugs, audio L, audio R and video. I use a scart to RCA convertor to view and record from my free view box with no problems.
    If your digi box is using a scart connector into your tv, use the boxs second scart connector to plug staight into line four of the recorder.
    Hope this helps.
    Baxter

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not if you have connected the Freeview box to the DVD recorder by scart. You just have the Freeview box on (possibly under timer cotrol).

If you don't have sky, you need 3 scarts:
    1: Freeview TV-out -> TV
    2: Freeview VCR-out -> DVD AV in (usually AV2 or L1)
    3: DVD scart out -> TV

If you are using timer recording you need to set the timers on the Freeview box and the DVD and the DVD must be set to record from AV2.

If your Freeview box only has composite video from its VCR-out, and you want RGB (which it probably has from its TV-out) there is an alternative wiring system - post if you want it.

8. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm trying to get my head around the EPG part of the box, what does this do & will it help me with recording?

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It will probably allow you to set the timer on your box from the program schedules shown on the EPG.

Then if the recorder has an AutoStart feature, the STB may start and stop the recorder. However it may be that this feature only appears on hard disc recorders.

Without it, if your recorder has a timer to control recording then you will have to set that to match the STB timer.

The advantage of the EPG is that you dont have to bother inputting timer channel, date, start and stop times. It's an improvement on VideoPlus.

10. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for all the info :thumbsup: Will I have to leave the TV on for this?

11. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No - because the TV is 'out of the loop'. The STB timer will turn it on (the STB that is) and send the signal through the scart lead from STB VCR-out to the recorder AV-in.
    The TV-out from the STB will probably not even be activated and if you turn on the TV you will see a blank screeen.

If the recorder has an Autostart feature and you have enabled it enabled then the signal will turn on the recorder and select the AV input.
    If the recorder has no Autostart feature or you have not enabled it then you will have to set the recorder's timer as mentioned above.

12. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Just to get this right :blush: My connections are as follows:

Sony GX300 to TV via Component
    Sony Freeview TV scart to TV
    Sony Freeview VCR scart to Sony GX300 Line 1 scart

Are these connections correct?

Thanks for all your help eddyad :thumbsup:

13. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Revised 20/1/05 - No - I think freeview box should be connected to Line 3 on GX300. See manual page 28 I think.

Does you TV have separate audio connections to go with component video? If not, do you have a scart connecting the GX300 to the TV for the following reason:

Component connections are video only, so you have to have a method of getting the sound to the TV from the GX300. The usual method is that one of the TV scarts shares sound with its component input. The GX300 > TV scart connection must use this shared scart. Otherwise you will get the vision from the GX300 and sound from whatever happens to be connected to the shared TV scart. When component is in use the TV ignores the video info in the scart.

What TV do you have?

14. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    My TV is the Toshiba 36ZP48

15. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Got it. Your TV has separate audio input for component video. They are the two sockets immediately to the right of the lower component video sockets. I assume you have connected these to the GX300 audio out with RCA leads.

16. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    No, I haven't :blush: Will connecting these mess around with my amp that's connected via the DVD, via coaxial? :confused:

17. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Oh - if you are using an amp for your sound and you don't mind not having any sound from the TV when using the DVD composite, don't bother with the audio leads to the TV.
    But it shouildn't interfere with the amp coax. After all, you may not always want to turn on the amp to get sound from the DVD.

18. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    So apart from the sound issue, I should be OK to record onto DVD?

19. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have looked at the GX300 manual and it looks as if your Freeview box should be commected to the GX300 Line 3 scart. The Line 1 is for the TV - the makers are not always consistent in their use of L1, L2,... etc and you said you were using L1 for the freeview input. I assumed that was the AV input, not the TV out. The manual I downloaded shows it on p.28.

And as you have Sony freeview box and Sony recorder you should choose s-video mode on the GX300 Line 3 input - which is where I assume your freeview box is comnnected. Then the Freeview box should send s-video automatically.

20. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've already connected it to that line & all I get is the crappy analogue reception through that channel?

21. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Page 28 of the manual says to set Line 3 input according to the specifications of your tuner - page 88. Line 3 Input on page 89 actually, shows Video/RGB, Decoder or s-video. So if you set s-video you should get s-video from the Sony freeview box.

I cant find the freeview box manual, but the on-line spec shows composite or Y/C (Y/C is s-video) as scart video output options. So you should be able to get the s-video from the Freeview box to the GX300. Is there a way of selecting Y/C on the freeview box video-out?
    Elsewhere in this forum I read that the s-video is dependent on the recorder having Smartlink - but the GX300 does, so all should be OK.

I think I read somewhere that you have to set the recorder to s-video first, otherwise the Y/C option on the freeview box is greyed out.

Pity Sony aren't consistent in calling s-video / Y/C one thing or the other.

Some other people here have had this sort of problem with the Sony STB - usually with non-Sony recorders though. You might want to consider changing it, if feasible, for a Pioneer or Panasonic TUCT30 which have user-set s-video recorder output.

Alternatively there is a completely different wiring option that you may want to try, which would run RGB throughout, apart from your Component output. Post or PM me if you want details.

22. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Try me :thumbsup:

23. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK - here goes. I've used STB to mean the Freeview tuner, 300 to mean the GX300 recorder.

1. Some conditions/restrictions:

I've assumed your STB TV-out is connected to Ext1 of the TV for (b) and (c) and is set to RGB.

a) You may not be able to record an analog channel on the 300 and watch a digital channel on the TV at the same time, but vice-versa will be OK.

b) AutoStart of the recorder from the STB timer probably will not work because when the STB turns on under timer control there is usually no output from the TV-out.
    Test this by setting a timer event on the STB, setting it to standby (important), then when it turns on check if your TV on Ext1 sees the channel the timer was set to.
    I suspect you will get a blank screen. If you see the STB channel please let me know, ignore (c) and (d) and continue from (2).

c) If you leave the STB On with a timer event programmed, then check the STB changes to a timer event channel as programmed and the TV-out is active.
    Test this setting a timer event, say to Ch1, then set the STB to Ch2 and see if it switches to Ch 1 as timed, and the TV sees Ch1 on Ext1
    You can do (a) and (b) with your current wiring.

d) To record a timer event you have to set the 300 timer as well as the STB timer then leave the 300 in standby or on, and the STB on.

If the above are OK:

2. Connect the STB TV-out to the 300 Line3 (input) and set both to RGB (page? for STB, p89 for 300).

3. Connect the 300 Line 1 (out) to the TV EXt1 and set the 300 Line 1 out to RGB (p89). The TV should recognise that RGB is being fed to it automatically.

The 300 manual isn't clear whether it feed the scart signal through from Line 3 to Line 1 when the 300 is in standby. but it seems to (p98).

Now turn on the STB, leave the 300 in standby, set the TV to Ext1 and you should see the STB channel in RGB.

Now turn on the 300 and set it to L3 input (use Input Select). You should still see the STB channel. You should also see it on TV Ext4 (component) .

If all the above works, you should now be able to record the RGB signal from the STB and play it back in RGB (Ext1) or component (Ext4).

4. To make a timer recording, set the STB timer (from the EPG) and set the 300 timer manually (p 42 on) but the input channel must be Line 3 so the 300 gets its input from the STB.
    Leave the STB turned on and set the 300 to standby. At the appropriate time the STB will change to the timer channel and the 300 will turn on under its own timer control. At the end the STB will stay on and the 300 will go back to standby.

5. If by any chance the STB TV-out turns on and off under timer control then:
    a) You can leave the STB in standby when the timer is set.
    b) You should be able to use the 300's Synchro Rec (p50) instead of setting it timer.

6. There is a risk with Synchro Rec. It is liable to start recording if the 300 is in Synchro Rec mode and you turn on the STB manually. This is because the signal from the STB hits the 300 and turns it on. This is a risk in any wiring scenario.

24. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    You are one clever guy :thumbsup:

I have been trying your methods, but all of the recordings keep coming out in black & white & the quality of the recording is a tiny bit pixelated :mad: I'm getting there, but its proper annoying :mad: :mad: :confused:

25. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This suggests you have mixed video modes on source and destination. I just tried sending s-video from Pioneer 420 to RGB on Sony TV. This produces a 'mottled' b/w with purplish stripes which eventually settles down to b/w.

26. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've had a little tweak with the settings but it won't alter the b&w signal?

On GX300 setup, should I tick 'yes' to having a decoder in Line 3?

27. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No. If you do it with the Pioneer 420 it starts looking for encryption flags (so you can't copy it) and can lose the entire picture.

There seems to be something strange about the Sony Freeview box and what it will output or what the GX300 will let through.

If you set the STB to send RGB. and the GX 300 to receive and send RGB, and the TV to receive RGB (or plug into an RGB enabled scart) then I cannot understand why you get b/w pics.

BTW, do you get colour RGB pics from Freeview - because you mentioned 'recordings coming out in b/w'.

How do they come out from tha AV4 (component)?

28. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've only manged to record once from the Freeview box & that was through the GX300's Line 3 & that came out b&w?

I'll have a tweak with you settings tonight & get in touch tomorrow :thumbsup:

By the way, thanks for all your help, you have been a great help :thumbsup: :smashin:

29. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's OK.
    One thing occurred - if the Freeview box sent s-vid to the GX300 and it was set to receive RGB on the Line3 input (p 89) then I think you would record b/w, in the same way I see b/w on the TV (last post but one).
    I can't try this cos my STB won't send s-vid - only composite or RGB.

30. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just tried setting my 420 AV-in to s-video, fed it with RGB from my Freeview box and made a short recording.
    Picture during recording was b/w and highly pixellated.

Recording playback fed to TV RGB/composite scart (autoselects RGB if available) was b/w for all 420 video out options:

RGB: Pic OK, TV showed RGB feed
    s-video: Pic unstable with flashes of colour, TV showed Composite feed
    composite: Pic so-so, TV showed Composite feed

The TV behaved as expected for the feed from the 420.