• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recording from Freeview to HDD

DrGreggles

Standard Member
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I have the following things that I would like to connect:

- Toshiba Hard Drive Recorder/DVD Recorder/VHS
- Toshiba DVD player
- Sony TV w/ Freeview

We also have a a stand-alone Freeview box from a previous set-up available.

Since the demise of analog, I need a way to record from the TV onto my Hard Drive Recorder.

Could anyone please recommend the best way of doing this, and what cables I would need.

many thanks

Greg

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,

- Toshiba DVD player
- Sony TV w/ Freeview

Since the demise of analog, I need a way to record from the TV onto my Hard Drive Recorder.

Could anyone please recommend the best way of doing this, and what cables I would need.

many thanks

Greg

Greg, Can you specify the model number of the Toshiba DVDR please...and confirm that it does not have Freeview tuner.

The only Toshiba units I have been aware of, DO have a freeview tuner.

DrGreggles

Standard Member
It's the RD-XV45

It doesn't have built-in Freeview (although I know there's a similar model which does, but I decided against buying that version as I had Sky at the time).

Is that what you mean?

ta

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,

- Toshiba DVD player
- Sony TV w/ Freeview

many thanks

Greg

It's the RD-XV45

It doesn't have built-in Freeview (although I know there's a similar model which does, but I decided against buying that version as I had Sky at the time).

Is that what you mean?

ta

Yes thanks.

In this scenario it will be much better to employ the Freeview STB...as this is a much better way of recording than from the TV.
The quality will be very significantly better, recording will not tie up the TV and you will be free to watch another channel, and the TV would not have to be ON to record ... which are all problems of recording direct from a TV.

You will require 3 fully wired scarts.

Connect a scart from the AV1 [TV output socket] of the STB to AV2 of the DVDR.

Connect another scart from AV1 of the DVDR to an RGB capable socket on the TV [ The socket will be marked with RGB if it supports it. ]

If necessary configure the DVDR to intake RGB and to output it.

Connect a scart from the DVD player [ Is this really necessary since you can play discs on the DVD recorder? ] ... to another available scart on the TV.

Gavtech

Administrator
You must select the appropriate inputs on each device.

Select the appropriate input on the TV to be able to see the output of the DVDR... and to be able to see and record from the STB choose AV2 as the input source on the DVDR input selection.

You should also be able to see the output from the STB when the DVDR is switched off... not that it serves any useful function.

DrGreggles

Standard Member
It was setup as you suggested, but the TV Freeview was detected by the HD Recorder.

No problem, I thought - I'll just record that channel and watch the STB.

But the TV Freeview channel wouldn't record properly (or playback).

ta

Gavtech

Administrator
It was setup as you suggested, but the TV Freeview was detected by the HD Recorder.

No problem, I thought - I'll just record that channel and watch the STB.

But the TV Freeview channel wouldn't record properly (or playback).

ta

Can you explain what makes you say that the TV Freeview was detected by the recorder? ... because in reality there is no way to monitor this and therefore no way you could know.
The fact that it has neither recorded or can playback anything also confirms that this must be so.

If you saw TV freeview on your TV then you cannot be seeing the output of the DVDR.

You need to switch your TV input selection so that you can definitely see the output from the DVDR first. [probably AV1 on the TV]

Then ensure the input selection of the DVDR is set to AV2 so that you can see the output of the Freeview STB.

Please follow those instructions exactly or you will make no progress.

DrGreggles

Standard Member
Thanks for that. It's all sorted now.

It turns out that I'm an idiot! :-D

The SCART leads coming out of the STB and going into the HD recorder were not the same one!

I should really tidy things up back there!

Cheers for your help - it's greatly appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom