Recording from Freeview to DMR E85. Help needed please.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by marcusv, Mar 2, 2005.

1. marcusv

marcusv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have just bought a DMR E85 only to discover that the instruction booklet was written by a martian. Anyway with help from here think I now have my recorder, TV and freeview box correctly connected.

Now I find out that I can only record the digital programme that I am watching which isn't a lot of use (our terrestrial (analogue) reception is awful and not worth watching). I have also not had too much success with timer recordings, ending up with a blank screen, and can't see how, if I could crack timer recordings, I will be able to record consecutive digital programmes from different channels.

Anyway, I've read that getting a second freeview box might help me around this mess. Can anyone out there help? Would a second freeview box help i.e. let me watch one channel but record another, and if so how would I connect it? And would I be able to go away and record several programmes one after the other from different channels?

All help gratefully received.

Marcusv

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Since your E85 has an analog tuner you can't record freeview channels on it without a freeview box.

You can simply buy another freeview box and attach them both to the E85. I'd suggest that you buy one that is different from your current one so that their remotes won't interfere with each other.

Connect one of them to the rgb input (remember to set the freeview box output to rgb) on the E85 (AV2..I think) and connect the other one to the AV4 input on the back of the E85.
    That way you can use either of them for recording. Use s-video for the best picture (into AV4) via a scart to s-video and stereo audio cable (remember to set the freeview box output to s-video).

Brian

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would be inclined to use one for the TV and one for the E85. There are some points to keep in mind for timer recording:

1. You have to set both timers or use the E85 External Link. With External Link you set the FV (Freeview) box timer, set the E85 to External Link and that's that.

2. If the E85 is in Ext Link 'wait' and you turn on the FV box (e.g. to set the timer) the E85 will respond to the signal and start, so turn off Ext Link before you do that.

3. The TV-out of the FV box will NOT turn on from standby under the FV box timer control. (This is to prevent TVs that turn on from standby when they get a signal, from turning on with the FV box). So to use the FV timer you must EITHER use its VCR-out OR leave it turned on all the time.

4. In the latter case timer events will make it change channels. But obviously you can't use Ext Link then as the constant signal from the FV box won't let the E85 go into Ext Link wait.

5. I think only the Pioneer and Panasonic TUCT30 FV boxes have user-selected s-video out from their VCR sockets. (See below). All the others just have Composite.

6. The Sony FV box has s-video but only when connected to a compatible Smartlink recorder, otherwise it defauts to composite. I don't know if the E85 'qualifies'.

7. If you have two RGB scarts on your TV you can use RGB from the TV FV box and from the E85. If not, use RGB for the FV-TV link and s-video for the E85-TV link. s-video is almost as good as RGB. Do your best to avoid composite anywhere in the chain.

8. You can set as many timer events as your kit can store and you can keep track of.

4. marcusv

marcusv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for your help.

A couple more questions - you're dealing with an idiot here. Eddyad, when you say that you would be inclined to use one FV box for the E85 and one for the TV does that mean that with FV box 1 I link the aerial from the aerial wall socket to FV box 1 to the E85 and with FV box 2 I link the aerial from the wall to FV box 2 to the TV? And if that's right can I just get some sort of aerial splitting device so I can plug in two aerial cables at the wall or will that cause more problems?

Thanks again.

Marcusv

5. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Good synopsis Eddyad.

BTW do the Pioneer or Panasonic boxes have the extended 7 or 14 day epg?

From their VCR scart will they "wake up" my E85 for recording via the Ext Link, if set to output S-Video?

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You should be able to 'daisy chain' them. But put the TV last.

Each box that has aerial in and out takes the signal, amplifies it and splits it - one for its own use, one to send on to the next component. A splitter would do no amplification and you will lose signal strength.

If you don't want to use the E85 analogue tuner, go from the wall to FV1 then to FV2 then to the TV.

If you want to use the E85 tuner, put that between FV2 and the TV.

If one of the FV boxes has an RF signal for the decoded digital channel put that next to the TV. There's no point in passing it through the other FV box.

Try switching the FV boxes around to see if you get a better analogue TV picture one way or the other. If you are ignoring analogue TV altogether, just leave out the aerial cable to the TV. But you never know, the FV box(es) may clean up the analogue signal. For some reason my retired Sony VCR did that.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't know about 7-day EPG.

The TUCT-30 manual explicitly states that it works with External Link, and makes no comments about s-video being excluded. But the box is not on the Panasonic website and may be out of production, although Richer Sounds say they have some in store.

The Pioneer works with Pioneer recorders, so should be OK. It's just the arrival of the signal that triggers the recorder.

You could call Pioneer to make sure. I've found their tech support one of the most helpful around.

8. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks I'll check it out.

9. marcusv

marcusv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody for all the help. I'll see if I can get it working.