1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording FROM dvd-r to hdd on hs2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by father alice, Dec 10, 2003.

1. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I read on another forum that you CAN record from dvd-r to the hdd on the hs2...

You connect the av1 and av2 with a scart, press record on the hdd and then play on the dvd - you get a bit of interference before the disk starts playing, but it seems to record fine, and you can edit the hdd anyway to remove it. Obviously to see what is going on, you need to watch through the rf lead to the tv (crap picture).

(One tip is to turn the onscreen display to off, because the display records onto the hdd otherwise)

I have tried it only for disks I have recorded off sky, ie no copyright protection, and they work fine.

Presumably if a smart scart or similar was used, you could also "backup" protected stuff??
    Would the av inputs need to be changed from rgb in this case (do these scarts only work for composite?), and is this recording in rgb assuming av1 and av2 are set up as such?

So, any idea if you get any problems with picture or sound quality on the recording this way, or if the machine blows up!!

The quick try I did tonight seemed to work fine, which is great, as it means I can free the HDD of space without the use of expensive ram.

Cheers, Alice

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both input and output should be set to RGB.
    A nice trick,but as its all done via Scart,there is no advantage over simply connecting another player to the HS2(other than not paying for the other player).
    I bet you have not tried to copy an NTSC disc yet.I would be interested in the results