Recording from dv video camera onto panasonic DMRE55EBS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by arcamalpha, Aug 30, 2004.

1. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise that the 55ebs has no dv input, but would it be possible to record onto the 55 ebs from my dv video camera using the video cam s-video output?
    The difference in price between the 55 and 85 is the stumbling block for me, but I do appreciate that the 85 seems a far more superior option.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. jfw08

jfw08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The answere to your question is yes you can,
    Why dont you try the E65, it has dv in & can be connected to a pc for editing & transfering.
    I can reccomend it.

3. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, is the e65 the next model up from the e55?
    I noticed on the specs of the e65 a memory card slot? I use a microdrive memory card for my fuji digital camera, am I correct in assuming I could also transfer my pics onto dvd?
    Thanks in advance.

4. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have been looking at the 55ebs as well and like you wanted DV input for future proofing my next camera (I have an analogue camcorder at the moment).

The e65 looks like the logical step up having a DV input but for the price IMHO you may as well get a Toshiba XS 32 which has a DV input and a 80GB internal drive for not much more money.

I am still trying to decide whether to future proof or not :confused:

Regards

Jerry

5. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jerry, the memory card slot of the e65 certainly has me leaning towards it, taking into account the dv input too, killing two birds with one stone ;)
    May see what the tosh has to offer while I am investigating :thumbsup:

6. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Actually I just checked on the web and the Tosh would be another £100 on top of the price of a E65 :(

Don't you transfer all your photos onto your PC and then burn them on a CD there ?

Regards

Jerry

7. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but the dvd recorder would be another means, thanks for checking the tosh for me :thumbsup:

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    The card slots on the Panasonic E65 consist of a PC Card slot (for which you'll need a suitable adaptor depending upon what solid media you use) and a SD Card slot.

A word of warning. They allow you to transfer your pictures to DVD-RAM but not DVD-R. The reason for this is DVD-RAM allows simple file transfer whereas to encode them in DVD-Video format would require them to be reduced in resolution (depending on your camera settings) and would become a fixed length slideshow. I just thought I should point it out because a few people on here did no research, brought the E65 and were 'disappointed' that they couldn't archive to DVD-R. Personally I make regular use of the feature on my Panasonic E95. I find it very easy to copy pictures to DVD-RAM and then transfer to my PC for authoring.

The Panasonic E65 is a good machine though - all the features of the E55 (a popular recorder on this forum) with the DV input and card slots. Highly recommended.