1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from DV to DVDR

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by claybird, Jan 18, 2003.

1. claybird

claybird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Pan NV-MX8, very pleased with the results so far. I use Pin Studio 7 for editing. My next project is to produce DVD's of my family etc.

Has anyone experience of this? I tried to produce a DVD using Pin Express and my brothers DVD writer. I could only capture 18 mins of AVI and it took some 2hours to convert and write. Is this normal? The quality was super.

How do you join a number of 18mins of converted film together and then write to one DVD?

We used the firewire card and tried converting from AVI to MPEG4 but the quality was very poor.

Is there a faster way of going from the DV Cam to PC and writing to DVD?

Thanks,

Ian. :confused:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Converting the format of video is a long and slow process. Setting it off and going to bed for the night and then waiting half the next day for a large file is not too unusual :eek:
    You might only be able to capture 18 minutes of AVI due to a shortage of disk space. Full quality DV footage takes 1Gb for every 4 minutes of video :eek:
    Get a faster PC :p

Mark.

3. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The 18 min limit is a FAT32 file size limitation of Windows 98 & Me. With Studio 7 it should not cause you much of a problem. First capture the video as DV-AVI's using Studio 7. Studio will stop at 18min (4Gb), stop the DV camera, and prompt the capture of the next 18 min segment. You can continue doing this until the HDD gets full! If you want to avoid the small loss of video at the changeover points rewind the DV tape slightly.

In Edit mode drag the 18 min segments onto the time line and trim and join as required, complete any other editing required and then in "Make Movie" write as a DVD compatible MPEG2 file. Transfer this MPEG2 to the authoring/burning software and write the DVD.

The process of encoding to MPEG2 is a very long process - leave the PC going overnight. Make sure that you have the latest Studio 7 update it has a better quality encoder, as the expense of some speed.