1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording from digital input

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by harris87, Dec 24, 2001.

1. harris87

harris87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am considering purchasing a sony dolby digital/dts reciever shortly,but was wondering if it is possible to record music from a dvd,if it is connected to optical/co-axial digital input on the reciever,and record the sound to a minidisc player or other form of recording device..
    can anyone please clarify this for me?

2. William

William
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a similar set up so may be able to help. You will be able to record from CDs using the digital input to the Minidisc player but this will not work with DVDs.

Minidisc players have built in Serial Copy Protection (sorry I have forgotten the correct term for this) to control whether copies can be made etc. The source material eg CD or DVD can have Bits set which will allow or disallow copies being made. They can also determine if 2nd generation copies can be made. Unfortunately with DVDs it appears that the Copy Protection Bits are always set to prevent any copies, so it is not possible to make digital recordings on minidisc. This Serial Copy Protection mechanism only applies to the Digital Inputs on a Minidisc so you can still make analogue copies.

Even if you were able to make direct digital recordings from a DVD to a minidisc player, you would only be able to record the PCM stream so could not make multichannel recordings (eg DD 5.1 or DTS). However the normal stereo recording can provide matrixed sound such as Pro Logic.

I hope this helps.

William