Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Recording from another DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by angelus_xviii, Apr 29, 2005.

1. angelus_xviii

angelus_xviii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting a DVD recorder (Philips DVDR520H with a hard drive), and was wandering if it's possible to record from another DVD straight onto a blank one, using another DVD player. Can I just plug it into the DVD recorder's scart input and record it? Is it better to record it to the hard drive then onto the disc, or just do it straight onto the disc (if it's possible at all).

Thanks

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    If the DVD is not copy protected (e.g. your own home video), then it is just like any other external input, so yes. If copy protected, no.

Mark

3. angelus_xviii

angelus_xviii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are most bought DVDs like films and TV boxsets etc copy protected? I've got a large collection which I dont want to take to university with me for obvious theft/loss related reasons. I dont want to buy a recorder only to find I cant copy my DVD's.

4. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    they can be copied so long as you own the original. i have the address of a site where a copy removal device can be bought. it sits between dvd player and recorder. beware of leads like macro lead as these only work on video not digital copy protection like cgms (i think its called that) ill dig out address of site if you want it. no noticable loss in picture quality on my panasonic dvd recorder.

5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they'll be protected. If you have a computer DVD writer then something like DVD shrink or DVD Decrypter can me used.

6. angelus_xviii

angelus_xviii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great. Thanks. One more thing. Is there anything you can get that just copies DVDs, so its just like the original with menus etc, instead of just recording the actual films/episodes?

7. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    if you want menus you must do it on pc. film must be compressed to fit on 4.7 gb disc. picture quality can sometimes suffer if you keep extra features and stuff on it

8. angelus_xviii

angelus_xviii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    never had experiance with them but again you would need double layer discs and as far as i know they are about £30 for 5. when i copy i remove extras on pc and get good picture

10. angelus_xviii

angelus_xviii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I can just record the basic content of the original DVD (main feature/episode etc) onto a blank DVD for 120 mins or however long it can hold after compression by plugging in another dvd player into the scart input of a dvd recorder and playing the original while recording on the blank like a VCR? I dont have to use a PC for anything such as editing? Probably sounds really stupid and simple, but I just wanna make sure before paying out a lot of money.

11. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    you set the recorder to a quality setting. such as 60 minutes 120 minutes etc. The more time on a disc the worse the quality. Panasonic recorders have a mode called flexable record which uses the whole disc for better quality. if you set normal recorder to 120 minutes and only recorded 90 minutes there would be un used disc space. flexible record uses it all for better qaulity. you would need to remove macrovision and cgms copy protection as well. a macro lead will remove macrovision but not digital cgms. you need a macromaster+ box. let me know if you want one i will sort out site address for you. Cost around £40 pound and you will need two scarts

12. angelus_xviii

angelus_xviii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That address would be very useful, thanks.

13. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
  14. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You guys should do this by PM if you want to retain your posts for any length of time.

See the post by Lynx at the top of this subforum...

15. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD Shrink on a PC will retain all menus extras etc,or you can remove extras selectively.
    Most dvd recorders offer a flexible recording mode,not just Panasonic.In fact,if you plan to use flexible recording with a HDD ,Panasonic are not as clever as others makes like Pioneer.
    A Sonel or KT Vision special scart lead for £20 will remove all copy protection,not just macrovision.
    Many dvd's,including harry Potter don't even bother with macro anymore and rely on CSS/CGMS.
    Player to recorder copying is messy and time consuming.Depending on your PC burner,you could use DVD Shrink to replicate a whole disc in 15 minutes

16. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    dvd shrink now has problems with some films such as resident evil 2. Wont even copy when done with dvd decripter first. can be worked around but does take a bit of time. Takes longer than 15 minutes on my machine. But you do get all menus but to keep features film will have to be compressed a lot

didnt know sonel lead removed all. was told it didnt while i was looking

17. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does Resident Evil 2 use the new Ripguard system devised by Macrovision?

18. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    not sure. the files are named different than normal so pc cant recognise them. look on www.dvdshrink.info more info on there

19. Kerri Powles

Kerri Powles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found this very interesting. I have a dvd player and dvd recorder, which at present I have linked up to an ordinary run of the mill scart, and although this allow me to copy some dvds, most of them are copy protected. As I do a lot of travelling, I would dearly love love to be able to copy the bulk of my dvd collection to use in the car, as I am afraid of having my originals stolen. I just want to check before purchasing: if I connect the sonel or KT Vision scart between these two devices, this will overcome the problem of copy protection?