1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from a VCR

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by smason5, Aug 19, 2002.

1. smason5

smason5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a PC120 and would like to record some footage from a VHS video tape on my VCR. The trouble is, it doesn't have outputs for video (it has the 3 sockets for audio/video input but not output).
    Does anyone know if it's possible with such a VCR ? I was wondering if the RF output socket could be used ? I even tried the AV scart socket that is used to send the signal from VCR to TV but it didn't work.

Regards,

Stuart

2. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  3. smason5

smason5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alan8477 for the reply.

Yes the PC120 manual shows that it should be straight forward to do and the camcorder more than capable for the job. The problem is getting the signal out of the VCR.
    I tried the scart connection but I think the signal was only being allowed in one direction.

How do you manage it with the PC9 then ?

Stuart

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You need to buy a switchable (in/out) scart to phono adaptor. About £5. Use your supplied 3 phono to 3 way mini jack. There is an option on one of the menu pages for recording from analogue. Can't remember whether it is on the playback or record menus. Might be on page 3 of playback menu.

As a matter of interest what output connection do you have on your VCR?

5. smason5

smason5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi alan8477

Well it's the VCR that's the problem. It has two scart sockets and the 3 standard inputs I use for playing back the camcorder via the VCR.
    I tried the phono plug with the scart adapter but no joy - probably because as you mentioned, it only allows the signal one way.
    So the only way of getting a signal out of my VCR is via the scart I reckon. So I'll look for the appropriate cable you mentioned.
    Thanks for your help !

Stuart

6. bruno_scalera

bruno_scalera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

i've got a PC 9 too with a bog standard video player and have the same problem getting the video player to output. Connection seems to be just a scart socket, with a two audio outs, but not video out just an RF out which as a different connection to the yellow video cable that comes with the sony.

Is this the type of connector you are refering to Alan?

http://www.a-v.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Budget_A_V_Cables_20.html

Cheers

Bruno

7. smason5

smason5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bruno,

I managed to sort the problem using a connector just like the one you posted the link to.
    Basically the VCR outputs the signal through the SCART socket but the scart adapeter that comes with the camera only allows the signal to go from the camcorder to the vcr. The switchable adapter allows it to go both ways.

Thanks for everybody's help!

Stuart

8. bruno_scalera

bruno_scalera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will go and purchase one shortly and give it a go :)

thanks again

Bruno

9. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just got back from holiday. You probably have this sorted by now if you have bought the connector.

10. bruno_scalera

bruno_scalera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought and adapter from Maplin Electronics and it works as you said, able to record from vhs to dv :)

thanks again to you and stuart

Bruno