Recording from a freeview box to DVD recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ilovedts, Jan 15, 2005.

1. ilovedts

ilovedts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a Sony VTX-D800U Freeview box. I have a question regarding set-up. I want to connect this up to my Sony GX300 DVD recorder. I've set it up as the manual says but I'm still getting the crappy analogue signal through the DVD recorder channel? Is it possible to record from the Sony Freeview box, onto my DVD recorder? :) :confused:

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Select the Scart input on the DVDR to which the Freeview box is connected.

3. ilovedts

ilovedts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a scart lead going from the TV scart (freeview box) into the TV & a scart from the VCR scart in the freeview box, going into the Line 3 scart on the DVD recorder. Is this correct? :confused:

4. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Assuming your TV has two or more Scart sockets:

Freeview box TV Scart (set to RGB) - DVDR Scart 3 (set to RGB)
    Freeview box VCR Scart to TV Scart 2
    DVDR Scart 1 (set to RGB) to TV Scart 1

That way DVDR can be viewed / recorded in RGB. If the DVDR is recording an analogue channel then the Freeview box and be viewed (in composite) on the TV's second Scart socket.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The freeview box will send s-video to the DVDR but only if the DVDR is Smartlink compatible. Otherwise it defaults to Composite and that's it. RGB is not available from the STB VCR scart at all. Try setting the DVDR to s-video on its Scart3.
    s-video is almost as good as RGB and much better than composite.

As far as I know there are no Freeview boxes with RGB from their recorder(VCR)-out scarts.
    Why sony did this s-video trick heaven knows. The Pioneer and Panasonic STBs can be user-set to s-video on their VCR-outs and that is what you'll get providing the DVDR can accept it, smartlink or not.

Fred Smiths connections are OK also. That's the way I have a Grundig Freeview box and a Pioneer 420 set up, except that the Pioneer will pass through the STB RGB signal when it is recording analog from its internal tuner.

6. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have the same problem, but I have my GX300 connected via component leads. How will I set mine up to record from the Freeview box? :confused:

7. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually record from the TV out on Sony box to E85 to get round the q-link/composite only restriction (which I agree is daft!). But have to set timer on the E85 and leave Sony box set to channel. I only do this for recordings where I'm paranoid about getting best quality - usually just record composite which is still very good whether from sony digibox or the dvb tuner of Pana Viera plasma. Obviously more convenient to timer record either of the last options.

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have the Sony Freeview box (with a Toshiba XS-32), and I too connect the "TV out" from the Sony to the recorder (then the RGM output from the Toshiba to the TV).

If you want to be able to set a timer on the Sony box to record in this configuration, a workaround is to set a "wakeup" timer record. This only works from the EPG. With this "wake up" record, it turns on the Sony box to the right channel and it outputs via the TV out. The only thing is after the programme is complete, it doesn't doesn't shut the Sony off, it stays on.

I usually set a timer this way rather than just leaving the Sony on, as I've already trained by kids to shut the boxes off when they are finished, and even if I tried to retrain them I can't be sure they won't forget and shut it off. By setting a "wake up" timer I know I'll get the recording.

Mark

9. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Could I still use videoplus & record from the freeview box to the GX300?

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I never have used videoplus... but the only way this "wake up" trick works is if the freeview box is programmed using the EPG. (I don't even think you can use videoplus with the Sony freeview?).

You would then need to separately set a timer on your GX300, for this you could use videoplus if it supports it.

Mark

11. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Are the settings above relevant for me using component wiring?

12. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I tried the setup with my Sony Freeview box & Sony GX300 & still nothing :mad: Its getting annoying now, as its seems a bit daft, that I can't seem too record to a digital source from a digital source?? :confused: :suicide: If anyone has any alternatives, please let me know, as my hair is getting less & less!! :D