1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording Freesat

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mjjhgg, May 16, 2005.

1. mjjhgg

mjjhgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just moved back to the UK after 2 years. Have enjoyed the reading the forums to come up to speed. Will buy a Philips 28PW6518 28in CRT TV for now for about £260.

We live in a poor reception area (and Freeview not available) but have a Sky minidish and cabling installed. Would like to use FreeSat in the short term.

Is it possible to record FreeSat on a Sky+ box without subscription, or any other PVR that has EPG and onscreen interface ?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky+ recording and instant rewind functions only work if you pay a £10 a month subscription.

3. mjjhgg

mjjhgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick.

After further reading I understand I can hook up any digital satellite reciever to the minidish and receive FTA (not FTV). Correct ?

Is there a receiver/HD/EPG system that has the functionality of Sky+, ie, set times to record to hard drive for FTA through the minidish ?

4. G-man.au

G-man.au

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anything changed since the last post in May?

I have recently sold my Freeview box and have moved across the channel to live in The Netherlands. The local TV is good, but I'd also like to have more UK channels. Have read a lot about FreeSat, and I think it will do what I want. I know I will need to buy a dish & sky box to get it working.

Can I record TV with FreeSat? (buy a Sky+ box and use my FreeSat card in it) without having to pay any ongoing fees? I figure I can do this with an external VHS or HDD recorder but would be nice to have it all in one.

I basically want to be able to do what I could in the UK on Freeview with a Humax HDD freeview box. Record & Playback.

Local technology here is not as advanced yet.