Recording Freesat HD on PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by hogweed, Feb 12, 2009.

1. hogweed

hogweed
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this covers topics I should be able to educate myself on by reading through posts, but I’ve tried… basically, I have a quad LNB with a spare slot, and thought I might get a Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-HD-S2 card for my PC, and watch/record free HD programmes.

As with most things in life, it seems to turn out much more complicated and difficult than I’d thought, probably mostly down to lack of understanding on my part. As far as I can see, getting the Freesat HD signal into the PC is the easy bit. But then:

1. The PC is connected to the LCD via a standard PC VGA cable. This is because I tried to use a DVI/HDMI adaptor, but couldn’t select the correct widescreen resolution, so either had to have 4:3 or very poor quality in 16:9. I thought I had a fairly decent graphics card, but do I need to spend a small fortune on one to get widescreen via HDMI rather than VGA? It works fine on 16:9 via the VGA cable, and the quality is very good! But I assume it could be better.
    2. Try as I may, I can’t seem to understand the “security” aspect of HD. Reading through other posts, it seems that there may/may not be something which prevents me from playing my HD recordings – or even just the “straight through” HD signal from the PC/Hauppauge card at full res on the LCD? It’s a Samsung LE40R15B with max res of 720p, if that helps.

Any advice on this will be most appreciated!

Roger