1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording DVDs to hard drive

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tunes Man, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Sony PCV-RS320 desktop pc. A friend of mine told me that my computer has the software to be able to copy a store bought dvd movie onto my hard drive, which I can then put a blank dvd-r in and then make a viewable copy of the original. I asked him what about the copy protection, and he said that the software copies the copy protection, movie and everything.
    He said the way it does this is to check some box or something that says, "bit by bit". This is supposed to mean that it copies the movie a bit at a time

I tried to do this with one of my movies I bought at the video store, but had no luck. First of all, I couldn't find a box anywhere that says "bit by bit", not to mention how to even copy a dvd of
    any kind, period, to the hard drive. I'll admit I'm a novice at doing any of this kind of stuff.

I should also point out that I assume that if Sony does include this
    ability to copy dvds with the computers they make, that they do it legally by means of the fact that if someone copies a dvd, they will be using it at home for their own private purposes and nothing else.

If there's anyone out there that knows about this, or knows how to do it, feel free to share any info.

Thanks, Tunes Man.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    I would be very surprised if a Sony desktop came with software pre-installed for 'ripping' commercial DVDs unless it was purchased from a "liberally minded" third party.

Whatever software to do this is available free online - but such discussions have been put out-of-bounds for these forums so you would need to goto:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/

I should point out that DVD ripping of commercial DVDs (even to make your own backups) is illegal and shouldn't be encouraged IMHO.

3. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, thanks for your reply, and you said just what I thought, that copying dvds is not possible and should not be done. I didn't think that you could do that with software that came with a desktop pc. I'm going to have to have a little talk with this friend of mine and tell him that he's pulling my chain! I don't know where
    he got this information, but I would think that he's been given a line from someone. Thanks, Tunes Man.

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Take a look at the sticky in DVD Talk if you want any more information :)

K.

5. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The recording industry have it all their own way at the moment and they are very hypocritical.I have no interest in piracy but I do have defective discs. If I've already paid for the copyright why can't I trade these discs in for new ones for the price of a blank? That would negate any need for a backup.

I have also paid for the copyright on vinyl so the same should apply - why should I have to pay twice? Until they sort this out I have no sympathy for them.

Cheers,
    Cal.

6. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    This is very true calscot and i couldn't agree with you more.

However one piece of advice if i may, the proof of purchace tokens you get on DVD's allow you to send "back" Faulty discs and you will recieve a new copy for free exept for P&P.

As P&P is only a few quid i think this is reasonable. Im not sure how much your covered as in if you snapped the disc in half in a fight with your loved one then maybe they will say hey tough luck.

This is a bit of grey area to most of us but anyone with a torch can maybe tell us more. Anyway we will see what happens.
    Regards,
    John.