1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording DVD to VHS

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by eappleton, Oct 17, 2004.

1. eappleton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hello. I'm attempting to record DVDs to VHS. I know that there are issues with protection controls. I'm wondering if it's possible to do this if I buy a stabilizer.

Here is my setup:
    APEX AD1500 DVD player with coaxial, S-video and RCA outputs. Emerson VR4250 VCR with CATV and RCA inputs (2 yellow) and CATV output. The TV has S-video, CATV and RCA inputs. We are currently connecting our cable TV through the VCR to the TV.

It seems to me that I could connect the DVD player through the VCR to the TV and record DVD. I'm not sure whether to use the coaxial out on the DVD or the RCA out. If I use the RCA outs on the DVD, there are two yellow plugs for video out and two plugs (one white, one red) for audio out. There are only two plugs on the VCR for the incoming signals (video - yellow, audio - white).

Any suggestions for what I should do? And which stabilizer to buy?

This is an update to my previous message above. I've since found a firmware upgrade for the DVD player so I'm assuming that I won't need the stabilizer, but I haven't been able to get a signal from the DVD through the VCR. I have an RCA cable (red, white, yellow) connected to the VCR through a converter (white, red --> mono). I was thinking that the coaxial would transfer the signal to the TV, but I'm not getting anything. Do I need another RCA cable from the VCR to the TV?

Yikes. I have pictures if you want to see the setup. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files: