1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording dvd for USA

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by annew, Jun 30, 2004.

1. annew

annew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to record vhs tapes to dvds that can be played in the USA.
    Is there a dvd recorder that has multi region recording?

I am a newbie to all this , so could you please keep it simple!!!!

Annew

2. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry mate I don't know the answer, just echoing your question as I would like to know how to send a DVD to a friend in the States for them to play back either on a telly or computer....

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
  4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    ....and just to amplify what's in that thread and the other place it links to:

The issue you face is not about DVD regions. Typiclly a "home made" DVD will not have any region restriction on it.

The issue is about video standard. Your European VHS material will be in the PAL signal format - 625 lines, 25fps etc. Your US counterpart will probably only be able to playback NTSC video (525 lines, 30fps). So to make a usable DVD you need to convert your PAL video signal to NTSC. That's what the other thread is about.

Standards conversion is something which can be done using encoding software on a PC as described. I don't know of any table-top DVD recorder that has this built in - it would be an expensive addition.