Quantcast

Recording DVD-A. Did the music biz miss the boat?

overkill

Being doing a lot of 'needle drop' 24/96 recording and mastering recently with the end result being excellent DVD-A's.

Looking around the web, this seems to have really caught on the last few years, with audiophile pressings (which are hefty price wise) being ripped and burnt pretty quickly to extend playing life and allow day to day use.

Software has been produced by the 'open source' community to allow (legal) DVD-A burning, and of course (dodgy) corporate DVD-A software is lurking out there too.

So why didn't the music biz get into what would have been a tidy little earner? As it is, the DVD-R producers are making a fat pile, but what happened to the affordable software to burn DVD-A? What happened to audiophile flac at a sensible price to encourage legal downloading? Why does the music biz persist in encouraging illegal downloading due to their ineptitude and greed?

Last of all, why do we persist in buying rubbish MP3 at rip off prices, when effective lobbying might force the likes of Sony et al to start lowering prices and putting out quality rips in lossless, or even decent sounding MP3? It shocks me to hear how dismal MP3 is from download even when compared to our own WMP rips!

Anyone else feel ticked off about this issue?

Philly112

Distinguished Member
Overkill

I think that in your heart you know the answer to this one... (although I can't comment re the DVD/A question)

General Public wants a free streaming and free download service to tap their foot to whilst doing the ironing.
Via our Dell laptop we have free Napster streaming for a year. Now, the quaility is terrible of course...
Not only does my wife think that the quality is great, but she thinks it an outrage that you need to spend £4.99 a month (yes, a whole month for £4.99) to continue this service in a years time.

Lovers of quality vs quantity are goosed. And have been for some time.

Phil

overkill

Lovers of quality vs quantity are goosed. And have been for some time.

Phil
I'll go with that.

Years of working in hi-fi and selling 10 times (sorry 50 times) more rubbish systems than quality, and no I'm not talking 'more expensive' when I say quality, convinced me of that.

FeisalK

Novice Member
the target market i.e audiophiles have a big issues with

1) DVD-A authoring and requiring a display to play music / select groups etc. Most discs automatically play the multichannel layer upon insertion , but you'd need a display to choose the stereo layer. Some discs wait for input - and you couldn't be sure which discs did what. This is the biggest beef i have seen with regards DVD-Audio and most audiophiles prefer SACD because it doesn't require a display.

2) playing hirez audio on a (primarily) video machine. Video circuity is seen/thought to downgrade audio performance, so at the high-end a purely audio player is preferred. Again, DVD-A doesn't allow this although there are players which allow you to switch off the video once you select the tracks

overkill

the target market i.e audiophiles have a big issues with

1) DVD-A authoring and requiring a display to play music / select groups etc. Most discs automatically play the multichannel layer upon insertion , but you'd need a display to choose the stereo layer. Some discs wait for input - and you couldn't be sure which discs did what. This is the biggest beef i have seen with regards DVD-Audio and most audiophiles prefer SACD because it doesn't require a display.

2) playing hirez audio on a (primarily) video machine. Video circuity is seen/thought to downgrade audio performance, so at the high-end a purely audio player is preferred. Again, DVD-A doesn't allow this although there are players which allow you to switch off the video once you select the tracks
Hi FiesalK. I was referring to the fact that DVD-A has become very popular as a home recording choice. It gives the home recording audiophile the ability to do hi-res 24/96 rips from vinyl (In stereo) and burn straight to DVD, or upsample EAC rips.

This has proved very popular as a scour of the community reveals.

My question is why the music biz has failed to spot a potential sweet little earner? But then they've shown throughout the Digital age that they aren't too bright.......

As for the issue of DVD-A being a fiddle to use, I can't see it. Takes all of a few seconds to choose stereo or multi channel. As for SACD, I can't honestly see what the fuss is about. Multi channel is a 'big deal', and a classic case of people hearing what they want to hear. I have plenty, and I really can't see (or hear) these mega details. For me the difference between quality Redbook CD and SACD is nominal to non existent.

As more than a few sound engineers have said, 'if it ain't there, you can't hear it' and with anything not recorded in multi-channel that's always going to be the case.

FeisalK

Novice Member
I think the timing is wrong as well - these days people can buy a song for $0.99 why would they pay more even for higher fidelity if the listening medium is a iPod + crappy earbuds?

You can of course download hirez audio from places like iTrax

overkill

I think the timing is wrong as well - these days people can buy a song for $0.99 why would they pay more even for higher fidelity if the listening medium is a iPod + crappy earbuds?

You can of course download hirez audio from places like iTrax
On the producing hi-res rips and DVD-A burning issue, a large number of people are already doing it. That's my point. I don't give a flying whether the music biz misses out, it's just I cannot understand how a so called 'business' misses out on so many opportunities, and fails to educate the masses to their advantage. Hell, they even screwed up CD's introduction. In fact, but for Sony's 11th hour rescue of the situation we may never have had CD at all!

Missing the hi-res market and offering cheap DVD-A authoring software is another missed opportunity. Period.

On the point of listening to crap on crap, again that is covered above. If you flog the unquestioning masses the idea that anything digital is 'quality' then don't wonder at why people have stopped buying CD's.............. ;)

Top Bottom