1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording Dolby Sound from Sky Digital on PC

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by bit_80, May 7, 2004.

1. bit_80

bit_80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I use Showshifter Pro to view and record films from Sky on to my PC, using a RF coax cable into my tv card. Picture is DivX Pro and as watched.

But the sound is in Stereo, although it is broadcast in Dolby Digital. All the s/w settings are stereo, so are the codecs etc

All other sound, from downloads, DVD's, etc is happily decoded through my Yamaha Pro SFP into its original format. I currently have DD 6.1 (F+R, FC+FR, RL+RR, Sub).

So can someone advise me is it possible to record the sound as output from my digi box via RF without loosing its content or do I have to decode and then encode again on my PC. If so what do I need.

2. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
  3. bit_80

bit_80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found out the problem eventually.

I am using a Medion/Phillips 7134 TV card, a Creative Audigy 2 Platinum sound card and the answer was there all along. Whilst the sound card can decode AC3 the signal coming in was not Dolby enabled by the TV card as the card is general purpose.

The card I will be putting in my pc will be the Hauppauge WinTV Theater PCI.

Cheers

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Bit_80

If you want to make good quality recordings then you are better off taking either composite, Svideo or if possible RGB (in that ascending order of qualuty) from your sky box. RF is pretty much the worse available signal that you can get in terms of picture quality, but in its favour it is easy to route over long distances.

hope that helps

5. bit_80

bit_80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that. Quality at moment is really good as I project a 8' x 7' image, the sound is the only drawback

6. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    As regards the sound you will only be able to get Dolby Digital sound if you have a sky + box otherwise with ordinary settop box its plain Dolby Surround.Hope that clarifys your sound issue.

Cheers.