Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Recording directly from a camcorder to a firewire hard disk

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by scook17, Apr 24, 2003.

1. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I record directly from my camcorder to a firewire hard disk? I noticed Maxtor do a 250GB firewire hard disk. This seems much quicker than recording to Mini-DV and then having to play this back into the computer at x1 speed. Just record directly to a hard disk and then connect the hard disk to the PC for the editing.

Is there a device which I can buy which will allow me to do this?

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    I am only guessing here but I would think that this would not be possible.
    A firewire disk is still a PC device. The PC controls all the i/o to the device.
    Your best bet would be a camcorder to laptop to ieee1394 disk (or just to the laptops internal disk).

Mark.

3. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

I figured that one out, but it then requires you to spend a grand on a laptop, just to control a hard disk. It's not easy to carry around a laptop, plugged into the camera all the time, plus most laptops only have a single firewire connector. No, I was after a bit more of a portable solution, which you can easily put directly into the computer. It's a shame the camcorders don't contain the software to drive a hard disk directly, because you could then just mount the hard disk unit onto the bottom of the camera.

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    The only other option would perhaps be to use a DVD-R/RAM camcorder. This would allow you to copy the video from the DVD to PC at a higher speed, but these cams do have lots of limitations.

Mark.