Recording dilemma

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Icarus, Jan 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, :confused:

I have sought advice from a reputable Hi-Fi retailer and ordered a Denon DVD 2200, Arcam AVR200 AV receiver, Monitor Audio radius 90 spkrs for front L/R and a radius 180 for the speech channel. I have also ordered elsewhere a Panasonic TX-32PD30 TV.

Still on shopping list: arial fed freeview box.

A long time ago (before Channel 4 and 5 started) I bought a video recorder but TBH it never seemed to get used). I now wish to upgrade my recording medium. What method would you recommend what in all honesty is probably only going to be off air stuff:

I decided not to get recordable DVD as I felt that I would rather have excellent DVD playback. I can't see me being happy with a VCR so it seems the logical thing for me would be a freeview box that enabled me to record, but these are very thin on the ground Pace Twin digital and the yet to be released Humax PVR-9000T (said to include interchangeable hard disk feature).

Are there any other solutions?

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Get a TiVo!
    TiVo is the only true PVR available and will surprise you at how easy it is to use and how much you get out of it.
    TiVo are only available s/h now as they are no longer made for the UK, but they are selling for around £200 on e-bay. On top of that you really need to either pay £10 per month or £200 one off payment for the subscription to software updates and the EPG.
    This may sound a lot of money, but believe me it will change the way you watch TV.

Mark.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I own a twin and it is a superb HD Recorder, ok it doesn't have the Tivo speciallities but the recording is indistinguishable to live TV.

4. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TiVo works very well with a Freeview box. Most are already supported and new ones are being added all the time.

Although there is currently no hardware manufacturer for UK TiVos (due to poor advertising and product take-up prior to Sky+ etc. when TiVo was launched here 3 years ago), as MarkE19 says - TiVo will change the way you watch TV :smashin:

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    If the Tivo is not longer available how long will it be before the service is no longer available?

I never have time to watch much tv but would also like a replacement for my VCR esspecially as it looks awfull on a plasma so the Pace Twin is looking good. Its cheaper and can be upgraded with a larger Hard Drive if required.

It all depends how much time you spend watching TV. If a lot then the Tivo may well be better for you as it is a more intuative device

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I would say it is the reverse.
    If you don't have a lot of time to watch the TV then TiVo will auto record progs for you either by thumbs up ratings or wish lists.
    It can FF through ads at 60x or jump in 30sec intervals.
    You can set it to record a whole series in a couple of button presses.

Setting up TiVo to record what you WANT to watch takes seconds and it also picks things you might want to watch if you have any spare time. Set it once and forget it, unlike the Twin that needs to be set for every recording!

Mark.

7. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My observation has been many of the big Tivo fans seem to be CRT owners. As a new Plasma owner I am still trying to finalise my recording requirements. (DMR E100, SKY+ Tivo or HCPC). One thing I do know is I want the best possible picture for my $$$.

When videophile guru's like Dr J Sim pack their Tivo's away I for one take notice.

No one is arguing that Tivo has the best PVR around, it is a real shame that no one else has filled the gapping hole left by Thompson.

Zor last seen running for cover.:D :D

8. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will wait a while see if the proposed Humax PVR-9000T appears as this is said to include dual tuners and a replaceable/possibly hot swapable hard disk feature.

Sounds quite exciting to me! ;)

9. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you implying that CRT owners are less aware of PQ than plasma owners? :devil:

I, for one, have put off getting a plasma as I'm still not convinced that they offer a better (as opposed to bigger) picture.

My 36PD30 (defects aside;) ) has a fantastic picture - and it looks great from about 10-12 feet playing a "Best" quality recording from my TiVo. And I haven't even done the hi-res hack on my TiVo yet!

Of course, if I were to "upgrade" to a 50" plasma and sit no further away, then I'm sure I'd see a few more artefacts - including the ones already present courtesy of Sky! But that's no reason to chuck away my TiVo.

Everything in life is a compromise. TiVo has, indisputably, the best PVR functionality. Sky+/Pace Twin etc. have marginally better PQ. Either way, both are recording from a digital source (Sky/Freeview) that is already compressed and already contains digital artefacts. If I really want to show off the PQ of my TV, I put on a DVD, not Sky or Freeview - and I bet most people on this forum would do the same. I say, why worry about a few more artefacts on an already naff source?

The selling point of a TiVo is it's PVR functionality, ease of use, hackability, etc. etc. To pass these benefits up for the sake of a marginal improvement in PQ on an already compromised source is like cutting your d*ck off because it's not big enough :eek:
    :suicide:

10. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was NOT my intention to start another CRT vs Plasma war. Each screen display type has it's own issues.

There are plenty of issues regarding supplying plasma with a good source, let alone the size of the image that do not effect CRT.
    I am not trying to impress my friends with my setup. I just want the best picture for $$$ spent.

I for one would be interested to hear from someone who has done the hi-res hack on their Tivo. (especially if it is connected to a Plasma)

blindlemon

I thought these forums were for a exchange of ideas & information. I was not out to offend someone elses equipment selection. Chill

11. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't offended - sorry there isn't a "tongue in cheek" smiley :)

A number of people have reported using a TiVo very happily with 42" plasmas - after all what's 6 inches between friends? ;) :D

12. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've a 42inch plasma, and a Tivo :D :D :smashin: :smashin: :D :D

Highly recommended.

Wife LOVES it, and wouldn't be without it.

At least 20 days of guide data, Season Passes etc, etc, etc

Also, when you decide you'd quite like Sky/NTL etc, the Tivo happily works with them, and provides guide info. The other's do not.

On the High Res Hack

I did the hack a couple of weeks ago, and it does make a noticeable difference, although you have to up the bitrates too, and as a result lose capacity (I went from 54 to 48 hours).

This is the how to, and the files necessary

http://www.ljay.org.uk/tivoweb/tivo_fpga.html

BTW.

Forgot to mention you can pick a new tivo up on ebay for £210.00 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3070377410&category=298

13. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason S
    Thanks for the info. Losing 6 hours of record time doesn't seem like a hardship. As a % how much improvement do you think you gained? How do you connect the Tivo to the PW5?

Cheers

Wayne

14. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    %age improvement is probalby 10-15% it's noticeable, but not hugely.

I've set the HIGH option as the high res mode, and switching between the two allows you to see the difference, and means if you don't see any benefit, you've not lost anything.

My Tivo is connected to the PW5 like this

Tivo > Scart > RGB to YUV (JS Tech) > Component Leads >Inday switcher > Component Leads > Panel

the switcher's in there to deal with DVD Player, Xbox etc and has only gone in today, before today I was switching with my Amp.

The switcher has made a very noticeable improvement, looks like my amp was limiting the signal!!