Recording digital tv on a dvd recorder.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Richardod, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Richardod

Richardod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an oldish dvd recorder and a new tv and I can record the normal tv channels on the recorder but when I switch the tv to digital I cannot record any of the programmes can anyone give me some advice here,I am connecting them together with a scart lead or is it the digital channels cannot be recorded with an old recorder.

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    depends if the tv can output the freeview channels down the av1 scart lead to the recorder , and if the recorder can select it as an input

an alternative is to connect a freeview stb receiver direct to the recorder and use that instead

ideally you would use a sony 890 or pioneer or panasonic freeview dvdr and record using its inbuilt tuners and leave the tv for alternative channel watching using its own tuner

3. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Before the days of digital TV you're standard TV & video recorder would each have had built-in analogue tuners. Having independant tuners like this allowed you to record one thing, while watching something different.

If you've converted to digital and want you're system to work exactly as it did before - you'd need digital tuners in both your TV and the recorder. A lot of people overlook this and think that upgrading their TV only will make everything work, but it isn't always the case.

The ideal solution is to get a recorder with built-in Freeview. If you don't want to buy somthing new just yet, there are other solutions like which ramjet suggested - as in getting a standalone box to record from, or checking if the TV can output digital TV over one of its scarts. You're existing recorder should defintely record digital channels though, just as long as its connected properly.

4. Richardod

Richardod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys,I take it the only way to connect them is using just the one scart lead.
    It's strange though it will record the normal tv but not when I switch to digital on the tv.

5. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    perhaps your dvd recorder is recording from its own built in tuner ?

it will have that capability

either way , the suggestions I made will sort the problem out and leave the tv working by itself for alternative channel watching :)

cheapest option is fit a cheap freeview box to the old dvd recorder