1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording digital channel from IDTV to dvd

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by manhar, Oct 19, 2003.

1. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony IDTV 32 dx150

How do I record from the digital tuner to my dvd recorder.?

The main aerial goes direct to tv aerial input and then a special supplied loop thru cable takes it out from TV to dvd recorder. But the dvd recorder only records the analogue channels. In fact the recorder display shows only the analogue ones.
    Is there a way fo recording digital channels?

Thanks

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I have a Sony 28DX20 TV and a Panasonic DVD Recorder.

The AV1 socket will output the digital signal. So I put a scart cable on AV1 and switch the DVD recorder to AV1. The TV signal is now going through the recorder. Just press record.

It will only record in composite though. It also means I cannot watch another analogue or digital channel while recording

I ended up getting a freeview box to record directly to AV2 of the recorder. I then can record and watch a digital channel at the same time.

I loop the aerial from the digibox to the IDTV.

The aerial will only send the analogue channels from the TV to the recorder.

3. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the tip.
    The first idea works fine. ie. the AV1 fron the TV, outputs digital TV to AV1 of DVD recorder
    Regarding the second idea, I however do have a Sky Pace box connceted to AV2 of the DVD recorder and do not wish to disconnect this . Can I connect another freeview box to the dvd -recorder via the aerial input at the back of the recorder to make it record digital TV whilst I watch sky?

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I believe so.

You will need to get a box with RF modulation. The Panasonic TUCT 20 should do this. My Phillips DTR 1500 does not.

The panasonics are excellent and would have done me (with my Panasonic DVD recorder) but, I needed to scarts and it only has one.

Once you have setup the freevew box. You then have to tune the freeview channels to one channel on the DVD Recorder. So for instance, if you tuned it to channel 6. Whatever, channel the freeviewbox is on, will appear on channel 6 on the recorder. You then should be able to record it. It won't be be as good a scart connection though for picture quality.

I hope I have got it right, maybe someone can put me right if I have gone wrong somewhere.

5. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How do I tune one channel on the dvd recorder to the freeview chanels?

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    As far as I know (I haven't done this).

The freeview box will output the freeview channel that it is set on through the RF connection (aerial lead). You then have tune the analog tuner on the recorder to find the freeview channel.

Usually the box will have tuned the freeview channel to a certain UHF frequency and so you tune the tuner into the same one. For instance, if the box chose frequnecy 45, then you tune 45 into the recorder.

I think that is right. Someone with a Panasonic box can explain it better.

This forum may be able to help. You can look at the posts but cannot repond to posts until you register.

Look at the digital terrestrial forums.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820