recording DAB radio on to CD ?

moriartygm

Can anyone suggest a way i can record DAB radio on to CD to listen to later in the day in a room that has CD but no DAB radio ?

My internet connection will be busy at the time as I will be working, I do not want to record the freeview DAB on to my DVD recorder because i can't play DVD in my music room, any ideas ?

You need to provide more information, such as:

What DAB receiver have you got
Is the DAB receiver connected to a hi-fi system
Can you connect your DAB receiver/hi-fi system to your PC sound card
What other equipment do you have

ProfessorYaffle

Novice Member
Many of the Pure radios have an audio out which, when activated via timers etc. could conceivably set a standalone CD recorder to record, for axample.

Why CD out of interest? I record using my Bug DAB radio to SD card, which I can then play on The Bug, my PC or my MP3 player.

Also note that some Lite-On "All-Write" DVD recorders write to CD-R (but obviously limits recordings to typically 80 mins).

moriartygm

The DAb Radio is a Cambridge Audio DAB 500, I also have a yamaha AMP, a Philips DVD 880 DVD recorder (very early model), a Nokia 220 Freeview box, NTL digital cable.My PC set up is on another floor of the house and is all 'hard wired' so no connection from the Cambridge unit.

I realise that I could record from the NTL/Freeview on to DVD and it would be 'audio only' but I did not want to use more expensive DVD discs this way (the recordings I make I will want to keep).

Am I going to need a HI Fi style CD recorder and connect it to the digital out of the DAB ? Or is there a way to record on to DVD and then use my PC to convert this to a file that can be then transferred on to CD ?

ProfessorYaffle

Novice Member
A Hi Fi CD recorder should do the trick (depending on the DAB's output). But these are relatively expensive (as you probably know).

You can convert DVD to audio using DVD Audio Ripper, but it's quite a time-consuming process.

Alternatively, you can pick up a Pure Sonus XT for about £50 if you shop around (try your local Boots) - a very decent little radio for the money. May be more cost-effective!

moriartygm

Thank you for your advice. Looks like I need to go and find a CD recorder that will work with the digital out of the Cambridge.
Thanks again.
:thumbsup:

AMc

Distinguished Member
An alternative is the obsolete Wavefinder from Psion. If you have a PC that is running Windows pre XP service pack 2 then this and Dabbar will allow you to make scheduled recordings of the digital stream (.mp2 or transcode to other formats). You would then be able to convert to WAV and trim/edit your recordings before burning to CD.

I bought mine second hand for £30 and use it to record a show I would otherwise miss. I transfer recordings to a USB stick and play them back at work on iTunes.

The big proviso is the older computer as the USB drivers were broken by SP2 and it becomes a wacky wall hanger! I run mine on an old PIII running windows 2000 which is also my MP3 server.

tiresias

Novice Member
You say your internet connection will be busy as you'll be working but why not use a streaming audio recorder? Have a look at Replay A/V or Replay Radio at www.applian.com. I use these to set up scheduled recording of all my favourite shows on BBC7 and Oneword and burn them to CD to listen to in the car.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
I was going to suggest the PC route. I have a Modular Technology PCI DAB card . It records to MP3 and then you can convert to a wav file on the PC and burn to a CD-R all on the same thing. Unfortunately finding the card might not be so easy now.