1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording channel 5

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Northerner, Nov 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently upgraded my mother's system to a Freeview box and Panny VCR but she has problem with the quality of Channel 5 recordings.

She can only operate Videoplus (she's 83) and likes to record a lot of films but the terrestial C5 reception is very poor whereas, through the digibox, it's perfect.

The trouble is that the Videoplus numbers for C5 invoke the terrestial signal on the VCR tuner. Is there any way I can workaround this so that when a C5 V+ number is input, it accesses the digibox for C5 reception.

I've fiddled around with various options but can't get anything that is esay for her to use.

Thanks for any help

2. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if this applies to your vcr but my panasonic vcr features a 'Return to Shipping Condition' in a sub menu. This resets the vcr to its factory presets. You will need to reset all the settings after doing this ie.. clock + station tunning ect.
    The videoplus will learn the channel id allocation on its first application by you. Obviously you will need to tell it what channel the digibox is using... AV1?* AV2?* channel 6?

Consult the instruction manual for more info.

*If using a scart of course.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I know this means more money and might not be what you are looking for but have you thought about getting your mum a TiVo?
    Once set up all you need is the TiVo remote. To record you just bring up the EPG, highlight the programme you wish to record and press enter. TiVo then changes the channel on the digibox and records the prog. It even learns the progs you like and will record them for you even if you forget to set them.
    TiVo can be bought for around £200 from e-bay or the classified adds here. It will then cost £10 per month or £200 one off payment for the EPG. Expensive, but a brillient and easy to use piece of kit.

Mark.

4. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Following on from Pod Person. The Panasocin vcr that I have (710) remembers the last channel source code for each channel when you enter the PDC info. Enter a prog for channel 5 and set the channel to AV2 105 ie digibox 105 and it will remember this channel choice for next time so factory reset is not required

5. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it set up and working well now. I reset the VCR to Shipping Condition and then reset the channels with C5 to AV2 (digibox). All Video+ input for C5 now brings up AV2 as the source channel.

Many thanks to all of you who posted replies. :clap: