1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording CDs on a Philips CDR 570

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Soo, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Soo

Soo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! :hiya:
    I have a couple of questions about a Philips CDR 570, which is no longer supported by their website......

!. Does anyone out there have one?
    2. How much time to I have to leave on say a 74 CD-R so that I can finalize it? I've watsed endless numbers of CDs when I've left the unit to it's own devices copying a tape to a CD using 'manual record' only to find that I can't finalize the CD!! It's driving me mad. :suicide: I emailed Philips about this issue when I first came across the 'problem', but their reply wasn't very helpful really. Am I doing something daft or is this a quirk of the unit?

Please bear with me because I'm no HiFi expert. :blush:

Thanks in anticipation of any help

2. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. I don't have that particular machine, but I had another Philips CD recorder, the CDR-820.
    2. I've never had this finalisation problem, even when recording right to the end of a 74 or 80 min blank. You should be able to use all the total time available.

3. Soo

Soo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! KJ_Palmer

Thanks for your reply to my query. Does what you said re: finalisation apply to manual recording too? Or does automatic finalisation apply only to digital recording (CD copying for example, using the optical connection)? Any thoughts?

I'm just curious to get to the bottom of the problem before instigating getting someone to look at the CDR-570 (I have an extended warranty)...........in case the issue I decided is not a problem, rather it's the way the unit works.

Thanks again.
    :smashin:

4. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always manually finalised any analogue recordings, so maybe that's it. You should still be able to do a manual finalisation, as all it's doing is fixing the TOC. Digital recordings should auto finalise OK. In any case, I almost always record till 'DISK FULL' appears (usually with a fade out), so maybe you should get someone to look at it.
    Your recorder might be fussy about the disks - I've had problems with JVC and TraxData disks and some CD-RWs, but TDK's seem OK.

5. Soo

Soo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I let the disc record til it stops of it's own accord, it displays say 74' 24''. If I then try to manually finalise it, it reports a disc error.
    Very odd.

6. Soo

Soo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An update:

I contacted Philips by email regarding the "problem" (see my original posting/question) with my CDR570 CD recorder. They answered my email & phoned my home (unfortunately I was at work). I returned their call & discussed the problem with one of their tech guys - very nice & very courteous.

It appears that, in manual record mode of an anaolgue sourse, the CDR570 (& presumably other CDRs) dont' "know" when the recording is finished (unlike recording digital sources, e.g. another CD), so one has to manually stop the recorder before it runs out of space, to leave room for it to finalise the recording. So, my CDR570 is just fine & doing what it should. I think I credited it with rather more artificial intelligence than it has! That said it's an excellent little machine & is performing just as it should.

Well done Philips!! Their support & customer service deserves a gold star :smashin:

7. Allan Ritchie

Allan Ritchie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can this machine raise the volume on a far too quite recording?