Recording back to HS2 hard drive from -Ram is it possible

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Faust, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Having owned an E30 for the past year and been very happy with it to thank you very much, I have considered buying the HS2. Can anyone answer the following - obviously you can record from the hard drive to -Ram -R, will it record from -Ram back to the hard drive. The reason I ask, is that if I move the E30 to another room and record from another source, there may be occasions when I record something on the E30 which I want to save on a -R disc. My thought was to put the Ram disc from the E30 in the HS2, record to HD then back to -R. Secondly am I right in assuming the HS2 cannot perform high speed dubbing, with only the newer EBS100 having this handy function? I would like the EBS100 but the price is pretty steep at present.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Yes. It will even do it in high speed.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Thanks for that info Rasczak as usual you are a mine of useful information. That is another reason to buy the HS2 instead of the EBS100. Now what would really make my day is if you were to tell me it transferred the material from the HD to a -Ram disk or -R at high speed as well?? or is that asking for to much.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The HS2 will transfer material from the HDD to DVD-RAM disks at high speed provided it does not have to re-encoded (i.e. it is under the limits for recording on a DVDR; 1hr in XP, 2hr in SP etc). If it has to be re-encoded then it does so in real time.

The HS2 will not dub at high speed to DVD-R media. The E100 can do this but is obviously somewhat more expensive.

I should point out you cannot dub from DVD-R to HDD (an anti-piracy measure). Gievn that Pioneer have and Sony will be relaxing this rule this will probably not be the case in the next generation HDD/DVDR from Panasonic.

So to summerise dubbing can be done on the HS2 as follows:

HDD > DVD-RAM at high speed or real time.
    DVD-RAM > HDD at high speed
    HDD > DVD-R at real time only.

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Thanks once again Rasczak for the info. The HS2 does sound very attractive now the price has come down. Apart from the larger HD, the high speed dubbing to -R, and the photo element of the EBS100, what else are you getting for the hefty pricing mark up?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    From the top of my head the differences between the HS2 and E100 are:
    - 80GB HDD (as opposed to 40GB)
    - DVD-Audio Playback (2 Channel)
    - MP3, WMA playback
    - Ability to put Thumbnail images on DVD-R menus
    - SD Card Reader
    - MPEG4 Recording/Playback
    - High speed dubbing to DVD-R
    - Improved DVD-Video playback

Essentially it has the same functionality as the HS2 though - just slightly tweaked and improved. Only worth the extra if any of the above are important to you.

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking into getting an E100.One question.If I have material on the HDD at XP.How fast can it be transferred to DVD-R using FR?
    Is MPEG4 recorded using HDD or discs,and what is the quality?

8. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    80GB HDD (as opposed to 40GB) 40 GB would be sufficient
    - DVD-Audio Playback (2 Channel) - not really interested
    - MP3, WMA playback - not really bothered
    - Ability to put Thumbnail images on DVD-R menus - useful
    - SD Card Reader - I use XD media
    - MPEG4 Recording/Playback - not fussed either way.
    - High speed dubbing to DVD-R - good feature
    - Improved DVD-Video playback - wouldn't notice with my eyes.

I think I just talked myself out of the 100

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The drive is built around a 2x DVD-R unit so 1 hour at XP mode (which is 4.7GB) would transfer to disk in 30 minutes. Obviously for 1 hour recorded in SP mode it would transfer to disk in 15 minutes. For 1 hour in LP mode it would transfer in 7.5 minutes etc.

MPEG4 recording and playback is very low quality - used for low file size media and nothing else. It's used on some digital cameras and on a variety of (mainly Panasonic) devices enabling you to watch TV on the move.

Why not wait a short while Phelings? The E100 isn't that different from the HS2 and it won't be that long before Panasonic announce there next HDD/DVDR combo which will have all the E100 features plus a larger HDD (perhaps 160GB) and 5.1 DVD-Audio playback. It's also likely to offer PS (at least NTSC) and component output. Not to mention it's always possible a digital tuner may be included.

10. soleus

soleus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am also weighing up the HS2 and E100. The only other difference, I think, is that the E100 has both RGB in/out. Is this right and how big a difference to picture quality does this make?

Additionally, how long do you think it will be before Panasonic announce their next HDD/DVD combo?

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    No - the HS2 has full RGB in/out. If it didn't there really wouldn't be any choice whatsoever!

Not entirely sure - I half suspect the next one will be announced around May and released around September.

12. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Rasczak

Are you right here? Transfers from HDD to DVD-R at FR are real time. Your answer would be true for transfers XP to XP, but as you said earlier, any transcoding means you cannot do high speed transfer. Or have I got it wrong?

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    No your quite right - I misread the question - didn't see the "using FR bit" :blush:

Just to clarify you can only do a high speed transfer if your not re-encoding (i.e. copying an XP HDD recording to a DVD in XP mode). Sorry for any confusion caused!

14. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always store HDD recordings in XP.As it would still require real time transfer to DVD,thats the E100 out of the window.I will stick with HS2

15. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Now all we need now is another £100 off the HS2 and I will be happy. Before anyone asks, the sky in my world is a rosy pink colour. The HS2 still seems to be shoving the mid to top end of the £500+ barrier which is a pretty hefty mark up over the £279 for the E50 - that's one expensive HD.

16. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the editing prowess and superior storage capacity make it worthwhile.I've said it before,the editing functions are wasted on RAM with its measly 1 hour at XP capacity.But if you are not an editor,then you don't need it

17. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I don't edit much at all really, I just want it to take material to
    -R. I often record things off t.v. then when I watch it, I realise I would quite like to keep it, but being on Ram it's to late. Having said that, I hear people say that saving material on Ram is to expensive, I would beg to differ on that subject. I bought my first VCR in 1973 when tapes then cost £10 each - yes thats right £10 each. If one was to add thirty years of inflation to that £10 what price would that be in todays money? that makes the price of Ram media pretty cheap.

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I'd agree with that. The amount I used to spend on high quality VHS tapes for archiving purposes used to be in the region of £10-£15 per tape (especially for HQ SVHS). I don't see much different between that and the purchase of a DVD-RAM. Your paying for a highly reliable and durable disk to hold your data.

19. fyw367

fyw367

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to copy a DVD-Ram to a PC HDD and then back from PC HDD to DVD-Ram? If yes, how?:blush:

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Do you mean HDD to DVD-R (in which see the Guide I have just posted)? If you really did mean can you copy a DVD-RAM to a PC HDD and then back to a DVD-RAM then you just drag the contents of the disk to your HDD and the drag it back. What's your reasoning for wanting to do this?

21. fyw367

fyw367

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback Rasczak.
    Aim is to use my PC HD as storage as the HS-2 HD is to small.
    I have a 160Gig in my PC.
    How do you drag and drop from PC ro DVD-Ram and ... keep it recognisable by HS-2?

22. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I would drag the whole folder on the DVD-RAM disk "DVD_RTAV" into a folder on your PC HDD - you can then just copy it back to a blank DVD-RAM disk and it will play OK when you put it back in your HS2.

Do note you'll need to have a DVD-ROM drive capable of reading and writing to DVD-RAM disks. I assume you already have one of these - if not see my all-singing-all-dancing "PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM (inc DVD-RW VR Mode) To DVD-R" post for advice!

23. fyw367

fyw367

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak. btw I have a LG 4040B.
    "...you can then just copy it back to a blank DVD-RAM disk..."
    But how? Nero? what kind of format?
    :blush:

24. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    By selecting the file you want to copy over in Windows Explorer/My Computer and dragging it to your DVD-RAM drive...

25. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Rasczak,

Would this be the same for Video mode, i.e. could you just drag and drop 'Video_ts and Audio-ts' folders to -RAM? I suppose I could try it when I get home!

Thanks

Mel

26. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Not with the HS2 (or any current Panasonic DVD recorder). DVD-RAM is only an official format when used with VRO file formats so the recorder would be unable to recognise it.

HOWEVER the HighMAT standard - which is used on new DVD players like the S75 (and which should be incorporated into the next generation recorders) enables playback of any recognised file format (DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, VR Mode Recordings, JPEGs, WMA, MP3, SVCD, VCD, WMV) regardless of the disk type it is in. So if you buy a HighMAT player then the answer to the question is yes.

27. fyw367

fyw367

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drag and drop is what I tried but I get the message "Unformatted" on the display of my HS-2.
    Other suggestion?

28. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    phelings. Not every one collects TV prog that run longer than an hour. In fact most TV progs don't.In which case the RAM 1 hour is pefectly adeqate. If you are an avid film collector then you are right. But please don't condem the 1 hour RAM simply because it doesn't suit your needs.

29. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Try naming the disk "DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER" (without the quotes) and see if that helps.

If it doesn't take the blank DVD-RAM disk, format it in your HS2, do a short recording (anything) and put it back in your PC. Now copy the folder across - all the recorded files should be over-written and it should work.

30. fyw367

fyw367

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried both but it didn't worked. I always get "unformated" on the HS-2. :(