• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recording and playback after retuning

gdgood

Standard Member
My freeview box is Panasonic DV3. My Freeview Television is Samsung T220HD. The DVD/VIDEO recorder is Sharp Dv-RW 360 combi. After retuning I can no longer playback anything recorded on TV. Although it will play commerical Films. Can anybody help. Thanks. GDGood.

Geofbob

Are these DVDs that won't play ones that you recorded prior to the retune, or only of programmes you've "recorded" since the retune. What I'm thinking is that perhaps the retune didn't work for you, and nothing has actually been recorded. If you're recording, using the tuner in the Freeview box, are you sure you retuned that tuner as well as the one in the TV. (Have you actually watched any programmes using the box tuner, instead of the TV's own tuner?)

If the above comment is of little help, please come back, but provide some more info on just what will or won't play; and on how your various components are connected up.

gdgood

Standard Member
Many thanks. The recordings were attempted after retuning.
They will not play back whatever I switch to on the combi/dvd/video. AV1 or AV2 or AV3. As I said it will play commercial recordings. All I get is blank screen. If I try fast forward it zooms through - but blank screen. Again thanks for trying to help.

Gavtech

Administrator
My freeview box is Panasonic DV3. My Freeview Television is Samsung T220HD. The DVD/VIDEO recorder is Sharp Dv-RW 360 combi. After retuning I can no longer playback anything recorded on TV. Although it will play commerical Films. Can anybody help. Thanks. GDGood.

Note that the DVD recorder only has an analogue tuner.
Are you perhaps in an area that has just had the analogue system switched off?

That would account for the symptoms.... unless you are feeding the freeview box into it and attempting to record digital channels from that ?

Note also that 'DV3' is actually DVB and is a standard logo for Digital Video Broadcasting and is not the model number of the Panasonic freeview box.

What units did you retune?

If you switch the TV so that you can see the output of the DVD recorder, can you see any channels at all by using the DVDR's channel selector?

gdgood

Standard Member
The freeview box is still working and we can receive digital channels. Analogue has not been switched off. I tuned the Freeview Box and The Samsung TV. I can still watch a digital channel by chosing the freeview box choices. The TV can still give channels different to freeview box - has different remote. Minutes after re-tuning I did a quick record, the news was on - 25seconds - it played back fine. But from then on Nothing will playback. I'm pretty sure it's recording - but I don't know what to switch to to see programme Thanks again for your help.

Gavtech

Administrator
We can see picture if we use the DVD/video channel remote. And change channels with same.

... so if you press record under those circumstances [ where you can see a channel fed through the DVDR ] can you subsequently watch that recording?

Gavtech

Administrator
I'm pretty sure it's recording - but I don't know what to switch to to see programme Thanks again for your help.

Use the input selector on the TV remote to switch to the appropriate AV channel that the DVDR is connected to.

Another thing to check for - If you have been retuning, perhaps you have disturbed the equipment.
Check that the scart lead from the DVDR to the TV is fully pushed home at both ends.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom