1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording 16:9 Format

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thejudge, Nov 4, 2004.

1. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used my new pioneer DVR-220S to back up recording off my Sky+ Box without any hassle whatsoever but i have noticed a problem.

It appears that the recordings are in 4:3 format and not 16:9!

My recorder AV in is set to 16:9 and so is my Sky+ box. I wouldn't have noticed but i played the DVD-R on my computer and the Nero Disc speed program recognized it as 4:3 and PowerDVD did as well.

Is there any way around this?

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Are you sure the original programmes were transmitted in widescreen ?

If they were 16:9, it's likely that the DVD recorder simply hasn't set the 16:9 flag on the .IFO file of the DVD.

I know the Panasonics don't do this properly on recordings to DVD-R while DVD-RAM is recorded with the correct flag.
    Not sure if that applies to your machine.

It's also possible that if you recorded using the VCR output of Sky+ there could be no widescreen switching information on this scart.

This can be fixed using a programme called IFOEdit, which allows manual setting of the widescreen flag, but would require re-burning of another DVD-R on your PC.

3. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the programs was "one hour photo" recorded from sky movies which i'm pretty sure was in widescreen format.

I don't use the VCR scart output i use the AV output so the movie should have recorded in 16:9

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The recorder will record what is output to it, and all its recordings are actually in 4:3 either normal 4:3,or squashed horizontally, which is how widescreen is transmitted.
    If the widescreen flag is not recorded to the -r, and panasonics don't do this, you have to manually set the tv to widescreen mode to see the picture correctly if the original was in widescreen.

5. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. All machines record what they see, but most only record the WSS (widscreen switching signal) to HDD or DVD-RAM. You lose the WSS signal after finalising a DVD-R which means than your TV (or PC in this case) won't autoswitch to 16:9 aspect.