1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recorders ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by transwest, Jul 9, 2004.

1. transwest

transwest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, Sorry if this has been covered B4, but this is my first time on this forum.
    I'm considering buying a DVD Recorder. I have an excellent Tosh 220E player & 2 VCR's.
    My main viewing is terrestrial TV with a bit of FreeView, & I have a cheap Packard Bell Surround kit.
    My question is: Will I be able to record & play back Terrestrial &/or FreeView transmissions in SURROUND SOUND / 5.1 ?
    I think I’m right in saying that the terrestrial channels are only in Stereo,,, should a DVD recorder encode this into Surround / Pro / 5.1 etc,,, or should my P.Bell item do this ?
    Are some Freeview transmissions actually sent in Surround / Pro / 5.1 etc ?
    Absolutely any advice will be appreciated,,, as I don’t want to buy something that won’t do what I want it to.
    Many thanks
    Omega

2. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No recorders (yet) record 5.1 (Philips model due later this year will)
    Freeview broadcasts in stereo and terrestrial analogue in NICAM stereo-both capable of carrying Dolby Pro logic(1 and 2) surround sound - if your cheap surround kit can process this?
    Sky I believe will(or already) broadcast some films in 5.1?

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The 'dit' I got from Philips was that 5.1 recording wasn't going to be added to the UK models as there are so few sources. The What Video report that stated it would was correct at time of press. It certainly it isn't being added to their problem struck HDRW720 though as was stated in the article. It looks like HDMI may have fallen off the UK specs as well...

Correct - Sky broadcasts 5.1 on it's movie channels.