1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recorders with DVI ouput?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sub, Sep 27, 2003.

1. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think any models currently exist, but are any of the up coming DVD recorders supposed to be sporting a DVI connection?

I've recently got a plasma screen, and I see many people are using DVD players that have DVI connections and are getting stunning results. I'm in the market for a DVD recorder some time over the next few months, and would like to pick one up that can output via DVI.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The Pioneer models DVDR7000, 3100 and 5100 all have DVI input/output but are unable to output copyrighted material this way. Later in the year (when the 3100 comes available) I intend to conduct some tests to see if any modifications can overcome this limitation - I will of course post my findings on this forum.

At the moment though the only current option is to use a HTPC.

3. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure you dont mean DV input/output? As in, connection to and from a DV camcorder? I know DVDR7000 had DV, but definitely no DVI.

What I'm talking about is DVI output. This connection is the same as the one used to connect a computer to an LCD screen. Its a long rectangluar plug with three rows of eight pins.

If one of these models ends up having DVI I would be very happy.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Quite right my mistake - I skim read your post and read DV Input for DVI - Sorry. No there are currently no DVD recorders with DVI connections - and none likely to surface for the time being. The general reason for this is that the quality of DVD recordings isn't sufficient to warrant them. Doubtless when BluRay recorders start to appear mid-late 05 this will change.