Recorders/PCs and Chapters

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MikeNolan, Sep 19, 2005.

1. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to purchase the Panasonci DMRHE50 this week. I will be using it to copy stuff from my Sky+ Box, and my old VHS collection which I am assuming the machine will do without any problems whatsoever. Some of the programs I will be recording are musicals which I would like to have chapters inserted.

Before I part with my hard earnt cash, can anyone tell me :

a) Can I insert chapters onto DVD discs - not just the pre-programmed 5 minute inserts. I need to insert them at the beginning of songs? Can this be done on the recorder? Also, is it possible to turn off the pre-programmed 5 minute chapters? I don't want those and my inserted chapters.

b) If this cannot be done on the recorder, do I need a PC to do this and also create thumbnails? If I need a PC, what software is recommended and do I wait to finalise the disc etc in the PC? Presumably I need to use RW discs.

c) I've heard that the only way to get a widescreen film recorded onto disc is to use a PC, as this recorder does not record the WS switch. Is this correct?

d) Apart from answering these questions, is there a "Noddy Guide" to all this somewhere?

Many thanks

2. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am surprised that having had 41 people read this request, no one has got an answer or can point me in the right direction.

3. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You can definitely do a) on the amazing Pioneer DVR-530H.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,463
    I have the Panasonic E85 and insert chapters OK with that model so I assume the E50 works the same. I think the 20 minute auto chapters are only inserted if you are re-encoding a recording and not using the high speed dub.

5. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    You can download the DMREH50 user guide ('Operating Instructions') from the Panasonic UK website.

6. RAB67

RAB67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes I read your post, but as my DMR-EH50 has just died after 3 months light use - I was somewhat distracted.
    :(
    I’ve not tried copying protected VHS tapes so can’t comment.

With a recording on the HDD you can put chapters anywhere you like (editing functions very good) - but to retain them after copying to DVD, the recording needs to have been in the right mode initially (High Speed dub ON).

The widescreen problem (as I have encountered it) is more of a playback issue for 4:3 TVs.

If you record a widescreen image from sky, it will play back fine. The problem is that if you play your recording on another DVD player with a 4:3 TV, the player won’t know that it is a widescreen image and that it is supposed to generate those black bars top and bottom, so everything ends up tall and thin (unless the 4:3 TV has a 16:9 mode that can generate the black bars).

Good Luck. The DMR-EH50 is an excellent machine. When it works.