Recorder with RGB SCART input/output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dolbyz, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A very simple request.

I'm looking for a DVD Recorder with a RGB SCART input/output in any make EXCLUDING Philips.

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,937
    Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer..........most of them in fact.

3. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe they make them differently for different countries?

I was looking at a LG which didn't ... so I changed to a Panasonic EH50. The guy on the phone said it has no SCARTS ...

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,937
    Well the specs for the DMREH50 here (under extended specs) say it has RGB in on AV2.

RGB and scart connectors are mainly used in Europe whereas S-Video is mainly used in the USA.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Only the European (+Aus/NZ etc) version has scart sockets. This holds true for most brands.

6. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys are so lucky to have a SCART option and cheap DVD recorders. Here, the cheapest I can find with SCART are a Pioneer 520 at R6000 ... my entire salary

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is there a special reason you want scarts? Most 'europeans' don't think much of them as a decent interface (mostly because of badly designed plug/socket).
    If you have other kit with scart (e.g. TV) can you not use conversion cables like s-video+audio to a scart plug?

8. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thing is my TV has only 2 x SCART connectors - not even RCAs.

My Satellite also has 2 x SCART connectors and 1 x RCAs

MY DVD player has 2 x SCART connectors, 1 x RCA, 1 x component.

The common connector is SCART - and it's soooo much better than composite or S-VHS in my opinion. Each SCART on each component is configurable to either composite, S-VHS or RGB signals - and I've tried them all! I haven't really had problems with quality of the SCARTS. My 7 year old CRT Telefunken looks MUCH better and more natural than ANY of friends' TVs ...

Regarding conversion cables, I probably could - but I hate any type of conversion in my system (whether audio or video). I get the feeling it doesn't work as well as the 'real thing'. I'd rather wait a few months for a cheaper recorder than buy one without SCARTS now

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Scart isn't a connection type in itself - it only carries all the connectors in one plug. So if you buy a recorder without RGB output but with s-video, a converter cable will just get the s-video cables into the scart plug on your TV. There is no signal conversion at all - it's just the plugs that are different. To get an idea of the likely quality set your DVD player output to s-video and make sure it is connected to a TV scart that accepts s-video. You may have to change the TV settings to accept s-video.

Most TV scarts are either RGB + composite or s-video + composite. There aren't many that do all three through the same scart.

There is a picture of the scart plug arrangement on http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226226
    post #9