Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Recorder with HDMI input and throughput

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bl4ckGryph0n, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,758
    As per the title...Does anyone know about a DVD Recorder with HDMI inputs and preferrably also throughputs?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585
    There are no DVD recorders with HDMI inputs - and probably won't be in the UK for quite sometime. For one thing there is currently no need - there are no sources that output HDMI that you are allowed to record. And the same is probably going to be true for high def content on SkyHD when it arrives.

3. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,758
    Surely a DVD recorder is no different that a VCR, except it uses DVD's....Are you aware whether the protocols they've used allow for recording but perhaps at a lower quality so no exact copy can be made....

Don't you think the 'industry' should sort this out as we may end up with a cabling and conversion nightmare when HDMI becomes the defacto standard...

4. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    The new Hitachi's dvd/hdd recorders have HDMI output

5. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,758
    Thank's for that Marty...There are quite a few with HDMI output, Pioneer, Samsung, Lg and as you say the Hitachi's....

But I am more concerned about something with HDMI input's, or alternatively upscaling capability via the RGB input and then output via HDMI....

The only thing I have found capable of doing that is a Sweetspot card...So I might just have to go the HTPC route...

It just seems a waste of money to me to have a DVD recorder with low-grade inputs and then very high grade outputs...

6. lewi

lewi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The new Sony RDR-HXD910 has HDMI output and upscaling to 720p or 1080i. Its going to be available first week in October. Current pricing suggests on-line retailers will sell for around £570.

There are a couple of reviews out there. Highly rated.

7. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    One of the main problems with HDMI input is that for the first time you'd have a device capable of digital sound recording, something the industry seems to have been resisting rather strongly. Whether that's technical or political I'll leave for others to decide.

The other point being that even if you put an HDMI input in, the HDCP circuits would prevent you from actually recording anything. The whole point is that they only want you to be able to record at about standard DVD quality levels, forcing to go buy the pre-record if you want hidef.

Regards

Mark

8. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I don't see the point of having high quality outputs if you don't have high quality inputs you can record with either!

If such a recorder arrives let us know!

Otherwise I will go down the HTPC route as well.

9. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    How else would you play back that shiny new HiDef DVD you just bought in HMV?

Regards

Mark

10. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,758
    No need to get cynical Mark....Currently my Sky box is routed through the DVD recorder...So when Sky HiDef is out, I'd still like to route it through the DVD recorder...Makes it a lot easier do sort all the cabling...

Don't knock it until you really know what you are talking about....

11. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    How exactly was that being cynical? The poster asked what would be the point of having Hidef outputs without hidef inputs? The answer is more than a little obvious. They want you to record in standard def off Sky HD when it gets here, but go out and buy pre-recorded hidef discs from the shops. There is no point to HDCP other than to prevent such recording. Hence the need for hidef out, but not hidef in. Of course this conversation will only really have any meaning in about a year's time when such things as BluRay and HD-DVD recorders (not to mention SkyHD) are actually with us.

Regards

Mark

12. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I am cynical too, but I guess the reality is that HiDef content providers will lobby the manufacturers to stop us recording their content in HiDef.

Murdoch has not been too keen to make it easy for Sky content to be recorded in high quality perfect digital copies onto DVDs or other external media. Sky+ has no easy way to transfer its content digitally, despite the existence of a USB port on some models.

What we need is some manufacturer to be brave enough or sneaky enough to allow this (e.g. TiVo and ReplayTV's official corporate stance is similar to other companies, but in reality make it very easy for you to bypass the copy protection and/or install network cards and transfer content directly to DVDs etc..) .

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,758
    That is being cynical about going to HMV to buy HiDef DVD's....And secondly the answer is not obvious as otherwise the question would not be asked and if you feel the need to treat it like an obvious question than just read it as a retorical...

And this is not a theorectical thread...Perhaps you should read the title again....

14. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    It was simply a name plucked from the high street, a place where you're likely to buy DVDs from, nothing more. Cynicism never entered into it.

Regards

Mark

15. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,758
    I hear that you did not intended cynicism, fair enough...Just a great example that shows that words are only about 7% of our communication....As you can't buy any HiDef DVD right now in HMV....

16. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    And hence my comment elsewhere in this thread...

"Of course this conversation will only really have any meaning in about a year's time when such things as BluRay and HD-DVD recorders (not to mention SkyHD) are actually with us."

Regards

Mark