1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recorder with hard disk ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by roland, Nov 30, 2003.

1. roland

roland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help. I am looking at the JVC XVDDV1 Recorder with 80gb hard disk and i link for under £400. For just a few pound more it seems somehow better than the Panasonic DMRE 60 but I am not sure why.
    Is it better to record to a hard disk, and will this allow me to have more editing features than recording direct to a dvd. And why do I need a hard disk anyway??If anyone has had experience of this recorder I would like to hear from them.Many Thanks.

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hard disc recording offers longer recording at better quality versus a removable disc.
    From what I remember the only downside of the JVC is some RGB out issue (or lack of it).
    I have the HS2 and love it even though it has it's own issue of live synch.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the JVC not a HDD/dvd player-not a dvd recorder

4. roland

roland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Phelings for your question, if it is a HDD/dvd player what is the difference.Perhaps it is what Ged said about recordings that is the difference.
    PS. I have never come across a product,where so few people know about it, least of all sales people in shops, and there seems to be so much confusion as to what does what.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that at £400,a HDD/DVDR from JVC would be a top seller.I am sure I have seen it mentioned elsewhere that you can record to HDD only,but the dvd section is player only,meaning you have no way to save recordings.

6. roland

roland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Phelings, Thank you for your comments, you have really got me wondering. I will check this out. Many thanks for your reply.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The JVC you mention is a combi unit, HDD PVR and DVD player in one box. it is not a HS2 type machine at all. If £400 is your budget and you dont have SKy then a Pace Twin and E50 is superb idea or the new Humax single tuner PVR and E50 available for £245+£170=£415 very highly functional combination.

8. roland

roland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Horneydragon,I already have a dvd player (Sony), wife won it along with a 32" Sony wide screen tele. but need a recorder with a i link for camcorder.Looks like I will be going for a Panasonic DMRE60, which seems to be spoken about favourable in these pages.I shall look up your suggestions as well. Thank you.