+ recorder transfering question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jjcool, Oct 12, 2003.

1. jjcool

jjcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello, ive bought a philips dvd 800 recorder,

notied that its a + recorder,

well my question is, if i record onto a dvd+rw or dvd+ is there any way of transfering it onto a dvdr ?

ive got a pionner a04 in my pc but its a dvdr writer not + writer

whats the easyest way to do this??

thankyou

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Ensure you have made your DVD+RW compatible. Your options are then:

1) A simple conversion method is to copy the files of the disk onto your HDD and then burn to a DVD-R/+R in a programme like Nero.

2) The better option is to import into a programme like TMPG Enc Author (have a search of this forum for various threads on it). You can add custom menus etc and the author in DVD-Video format.

3) The best option, given the lack of a Flexible Record on your machine, is to record programmes in top quality mode, re-encode and author in TMPG Enc Author. This can frequently bring out better results than option 2. If your interested in this route post back and I will respond in depth (but probably not until Friday as I'm VERY busy this week)!

3. jjcool

jjcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks,

if i make the DVD+RW compatible, will it play in my pionner a04?

as i thought due to the a04 is not a + writer it wont reconize dvd+ discs?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I can't give you a guarantee I'm afraid but it should read (but obviously not write). If not any new DVD-ROM drive would read it so you could just add one for minimal cost (£15-£40).

The disk will read in a PC drive whether you make it compatible or not (but will not play in WinDVD etc). The problem is that most authoring programmes are designed around file formats such as MPEG, VRO etc. The +VR mode chosen for the DVD+RW set-tops isn't that widely supported by such programmes (because it's purpose is compatibility on the set-top unit and nothing else) and thus you need to make it compatible to comply with the DVD-Video VOB structure so it can be imported.