1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recorder to replace VCR and DVD player??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bigweed, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was going to buy a DVD player very soon (Pioneer DV 575) and a VCR to replace my broken VCR. However, I am tempted into buying a DVDR. Can anyone tell me which DVDR, costing upto £300, would be able to record to DVD-R/RW (Video and VR), has RGB input, RGB and component output, and has PQ comparable to a good standalone DVD player, e.g. compared to the above Pioneer or a Sony DVPNS730.

Also, if this player exists, does a recording made using its lowest PQ setting have a PQ which is better than VCR recording, same or worse?

Cheers

Bigweed

2. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone??

Cheers

Bigweed

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    None!

You probably should look at the panasonic E50 or 55, but this uses -r and ram, and does not have component out.
    DVD playback is acceptable and the recordings in 4hr mode should still be better than vcr, whilst the 6 hour will be slightly worse.
    As far as I know the machines that support -rw do not have rgb? No doubt others will correct this.

4. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    RGB input has now been added to most machines: all those from Pioneer, Toshiba and . Panasonic have also added component out to all their current DVD recorders (E55, E65, E75, E85, E95).

Like CLH suggest the Sony GX3 is a good option. IMHO though the new Toshiba DR2 pips the Sony to the post on DVD playback (especially as the Toshiba sports Progressive Scan) and also has DVD-RAM recording/playback. The Toshiba can only record in Video mode to DVD-RW though (but makes up for this by it's DVD-RAM recording in VR mode). It will be a few weeks before this unit is readily available though so you may want to opt for the Sony...

6. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about other DVD RAM recorders but the Panasonics also record in "FR" mode. This basically fits the recording time to the disc thats in the machine so that you get the best possible recording quality.

DVD RAM gives a more flexible approach to recording due to its ability to time slip. RAM media tends to be a bit more expensive than rw discs but with -r at approx -35p each you shouldn't need too many.

My preference would always be Panasonic, having owned Toshiba previously on reccomendation and being disappointed with the reliability of them, I have a Panasonic DMR e30 and a region free S35 both giving faultless service.

Some people claim that they have suffered with compatability issues regarding media but if you stick to Ritek purple you should be OK - I havn't had an issue with any media that 've bought so far inc Mirror, Datarite yellows, Ritek and some unbranded that I bought from Riviera media at Barnsley.

7. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me whether the Panny E55 has RGB input as well as component output? Also, does it has PAL and NTSC prog scan? If no prog scan, then can it play NTSC DVDs?? Also, can it be made region free?

Is the Toshiba gonna be better than the Panny E55?

Is the E55 a good DVDR to convert my grilfriends VCR collection of Friends (9 series, 54 videos, 216 episodes!!!!!)? Its gonna take a while whichever DVDR I use!

Cheers

Bigweed

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bigweed, if I had that much to record Id wait for a HDD, so you can edit out as much stuff as possible. The tosh HDD has been as low as 365 recently, give it another three months and therell be at least 3 models at that price to choose from

9. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Which Tosh is that?? Also, any chance you know the answer to my queries above?? I dont mind putting in a bit of hard work!! As I will be off work for a month soon!!

Cheers

Bigweed

10. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    bigweed the RDXS32 was 365 for a bit (gone back up to 415 now) but Im sure they will all come down.

It is a DR2 (mentioned above with an 80G hard disk). It does record to DVD-R/RW (Video only), RAM is VR mode, has RGB input, RGB and component output, and has PQ comparable/better to a good standalone DVD player in my case the Sony 735. Plus prog scan!

11. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nunew33

So is the Tosh DR2 the same as the RDXS32? Or is the DR2 an update of the RDXS32, or the other way around, or what??? Im confused!!!

Also, can the RDXS32 play NTSC DVDs and do PAL & NTSC Prog scan?? Same for DR2?? And would you say these are both better than the E55? Any reviews for either of these??

Cheers

Bigweed

12. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    RDXS32 is effectively theDR2 with a hard disk. Should be same menu/connections simply withoutHDD.

Dont have NTSC disks to test but mine is multi region (365 offer was for reg 2 only). Not sure about ntsc prog scan, just know its definately pal prog scan.

E55 should be compared to DR2 and XS32 should be compared to E85 (E55 with HDD).

Matter of opinion which is best. Tosh has more bells and whistles but at the end of the the day they both record TV signals

13. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    It it helps, I find the playback PQ to be superior on the Tosh in RGB interlaced mode (can't comment on prog scan as have no prog scan inputs on TV monitor). I did own a Panny E55 before upgrading to the Tosh RDX32. If it helps, all reviews of Tosh machines, including the older DR1, always praise playback quality. In my view, the Panny PQ was good, but not brilliant.

14. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what would be the main differences between the E55 and the DR2? Is one substantially better than the other? Or is there not much in it??

Cheers

Bigweed

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    The Panasonic E55 has the following features which the Toshiba doesn't:
    - DVD-Audio playback (2 channel only)
    - Maximum of 8hrs on one disk (Toshiba does 6hr max)

However the Toshiba DR2 has these features:
    - Can record to DVD-RW (in Video mode)
    - iLink (for digital camcorders)
    - Better DVD playback

Both are very good machines: I would say the Panasonic E55 is more user friendly. However DVD-RW recording on the Toshiba is particularly useful if you want to lend friends recordings. Do note that the Panasonic E55 is about £40-£50 cheaper than the Toshiba.

16. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    raczak the rdxs32 (and im assuming the DR2) has chase playback. Its not in manual explicitely but you can fast forward at 1.25 to 1.5 with sound. In timeslip the time bar even calls this chase playback

17. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So am I right in assuming that both have RGB input and prog scan output?

Also, I have read that the E55 can change the recording quality so that whatever is being recorded will fit onto the RAM disk if there is not enough space left. Can the Tosh do this too?

18. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If the US is anything to go by (ie DR2 is a RDXS32 minus the HD) the DR2 will have prog scan and rgb in.

And straight from the manual there is an auto bit rate on the toshiba that :
    To set a rate automatically according to the remaining volume of the
    disc. (If the disc does not have room for the TV programme, the
    programme cannot be recorded to the end.)
    When you select an HDD, the recorder records for a length of time
    corresponding to that of a blank DVD-RAM disc (4.7GB). Not
    applicable to a recording for 2.5 hours or longer.

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Roger - I didn't know that. I will amend my post accordingly.