Recorder Sony GX300: some doubts

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jmontra, Nov 17, 2004.

1. jmontra

jmontra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I’m going to buy a DVD Recorder (Sony GX300), for their technical characteristics: connections (input RGB through ‘scart’, out by components in progressive), pre-treatment of the image, DAC 12 bits/108Mhz of NSV, good progresive scan, etc. I don’t need an I-link input because I’m not having a camera (and no plans to buy one). I’d like a recorder with HD but I prefer a good DVD-only recorder than a poor DVD with HD recorder (and good HD recorders are too much expensive for me).

I’d be very gratefull if someone who has this recorder could give their opinion of this recorder and answer me some questions:

-Can I connect my TDT (digital terrestrial tuner) through the ‘scart’/RGB out of my TDT to the Sony GX300 recorder (scart decoder input) and see the TV with my projector connected to the recorder through the component/progressive out, once treated the image with the recorder improving circuitry?
    -Can I watch DVD movies recorded with my PC in DVD+R/-R?
    -Does my projector accept the Sony GX300 progressive signal (in the manual I’ve read that it works in progressive 525/625), and my projector manages signal in 480p and 720p? I suppose that are compatible, isn’t it?
    -Is it easy to convert video tape movies into DVD ? Which quality you recommend? LP or EP are enough?

Thanks a lot for your help
    Jordi
    Barcelona

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Don't be sucked in by brand names for the sake of it. In a side by side comparison the Toshiba RDXS32 offers marginally better recording quality than the Sony and noticeably better DVD playback. Likewise the Panasonic range offers significantly better recording quality and near equal DVD playback to the Sony.

You might find it beneficial to checkout some of the latest reviews - especially in decent home cinema magaines such as HCC. You'll certainly regret it if you want/need a HDD model but opt for a "better" machine.

3. jmontra2

jmontra2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I’ve read some reviews of the Toshiba 32 and even download the manual. It seems that this recorder is great!
    I’m not shure the image quality is better in the Toshiba (DAC 10bits/54Mhz) instead than Sony (12bits/108 Mhz with NSV correction), I’ve read some reviews of both recorders and they give a better image quality to Sony. Also the progressive scan seems better in Sony (pixel to pixel analisys) and Sony has the ability to record DVD-RW in VR mode and DVD+R/RW.
    On the other hand Toshiba has a lower price, and seems that the recordings (in SP mode are great), have I-link, HD,..
    So now I’m a bit confused. If people that have the Toshiba, thinks that it has equal or better image quality than Sony GX300 or HX900 (I have a projector and for me is more important than the recorder functions), I will probably go for the Toshiba..

Could somebody, please, give me opinions of both recorders to help me to decide?

Thanks,
    Jmontra,
    Barcelona

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Don't get too bogged down into comparing the DACs - they have gone through entirely different R&D processes - it's the end result that matters and certainly in the tests I've conducted the Toshiba beats the Sony albeit by a slender lead.

If you look at the heavy-weight reviews of magazines such as HCC then you will see the Toshiba gets the PQ stakes. Remember only HCC has custom labs to test the equipment properly during a review. Still in the end of the day only you can decide which you want by doing a side to side analysis.

You should speak to CLH as he has had both Sony and Toshiba recorders - trawl through the Toshiba RDXS32 Review Thread to findout which he preferred.