Recorder installation advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Elaine J, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Elaine J

Elaine J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,
    I've just ordered a Sony RDR-HXD890 Recorder (delivery 3 weeks) to use with my Samsung HD television, the sales person informed me that it was simple to set up, which I opted for instead of the £35 installation cost.
    This I believed should be straight forward as I only have to disconnect my old Disk type recorder and replace it with this new model as I have no Cable/Statallite connections to worry about. However, when I downloaded the manual for the 890 (which covers several other recorders)from the Sony Web Site it now worries me about this "Simple Set Up" that was mentioned.
    I understand and fairly happy with the diagram on how to Hook up for receiving Freeview and Analogue and Terrestrial broadcasts, also , on another diagram you then have to connect a HDMI cable and a Scart lead, which (I think)understand although this diagram also shows a number of other cables to be connected in various parts of this recorder, which , confuses me.
    The other instruction from the sales person was, when the cables are fitted just press OK twice (surely this is not correct) on the remote and follow the screen instructions.

I would greatly appreciate help from you Guys in very "Simple" terms to discribe the installation procedure, or, if at all possible send me a true Diagram of what is involved.

Elaine

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    How to install the Sony RDR-HXD 770 / 870 / 970 / 1070 or the newer 890 / 990 / 995 etc

to cable it all up , its really quite simple to do

aerial connections:-

outside aerial to digital aerial input ( middle of rear panel ) on the x70 or x90 or x95
    digital aerial output of the x70 or x90 or x95 to the analogue input ( left on rear panel ) using a non-supplied male to female coax lead ( like is used on an old vcr )
    x70 or x90 or x95 analogue output to tv aerial input

and for scart:-

x70 or x90 or x95 line 3 scart output to av1 on tv ( rgb in )

set the x70 or x90 or x95 and the tv to rgb widescreen 16:9

tune in the analogue and freeview on the x70 or x90 or x95 , and on the tv where necessary

when this is all working ok , you can try hdmi but it will disable the scart connection from the recorder to the tv

use one or the other , not both

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Hi Elaine - Welcome to the forum.

The installation manual is infamous for its lack of clarity regarding setup procedures.

I would not concern yourself too much about this.
    The manual concerns itself with many different scenarios many of which you either will not require or do not apply.

HDMI is not mandatory but optional, and generally can have issues of its own ,, so as a general rule it is better to get your system up and running and bedded in without it and add it later if you choose.

Then there is the question of the perhaps unnecessary complication of using both the analogue and digital tuner.
    Assuming that you can receive Freeview OK then there is not any need to connect the analogue into the system.

Therefore I suggest you adopt your initial intended approach of simply unplugging the old and plugging in the new.

All you need to pay attention to is that the aerial connections go into the centre back of the machine - which is the digital tuner input/ output... and NOT in the aerial connection to one side of the rear which are the analogue tuner connections.

Next - ensure that you get the scart to the TV in the appropriate socket [ Bottom socket ] ... Apply the power and that should be it.

Any problems and you can always get help here.

[ Please Note - I've removed your email address. It is generally not a good idea to post your address on open forum. ]

4. Elaine J

Elaine J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Again,
    Thanks to the both of you for your replies, if you Guys say that this set up is fairly simple then that's good enough for me.....my middle name is Panic by the Way.
    Although I have already purchased a HMDI lead I will go with your advice, scart first, but not both.
    I already receive freeview via my Samsung TV and agree analogue is not necessary, so , I will Hook up as advised.
    Not sure what (Ramjet) meant/how to set up the recorder to widescreen 16.9
    I suppose once I have connected the cables, then switched on the recorder plus TV there will be instructions to follow.

Gavtech, sorry about stating my E-mail address, your correct, it was not a good idea.
    Thanks for your Help, it's appreciated
    Regards
    Elaine

5. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    as mentioned by gavtech , just go straight from the middle of the recorder aerial output up to the tv if you are not using analogue

also decide if you want the freeview epg ( the one I use ) or the guideplus epg and setup accordingly

once the menus are setup and you are happy its all working as it should , and only at this point , should you consider using hdmi ( or not ), the main problem is that you have many choices on this recorder so you have to make those choices and eventually have what you require or need , not all choices will be used

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  6. Elaine J

Elaine J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ramjet,
    Thanks for the information.
    I'm going along with what you and Gavtech suggest, use a Scart lead to set up the recorder, and when set up, decide to use the HDMI cable, so, I'll put my £20 HDMI cable in the drawer for now.
    I only fancied this recorder for a number of reasons, it's hard drive capacity (my current recorder only uses a Disk) and for photos and more importantly, the upscale and improvement in picture quality to 1080, it's also highly praised by Which Hi Fi as a pretty good recorder.
    Thanks Again
    Regards
    Elaine

7. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    dont believe the upscaling hype , your tv does that for you anyway from any input

8. Elaine J

Elaine J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ramjet,

Your upscaling quote is interesting !!
    Like yourself, some other members on this Forum also share your thoughts on this subject.
    Can you Enlarge on this subject Ramjet as your opinion would be appreciated.
    Just to point out my view on upscaling, I'm aware that with my new recorder (when it arrives) that I won't get Full HD, but, I expected the 1080 upgrade would produce a better picture on my two year old Samsung TV, although, I have to be honest in saying the picture at present is excellent. I suppose that I dont' really know what to expect Ramjet.
    Regards
    Elaine

9. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    in a word , no

I cannot advise you on HD as I dont have it myself and so I use rgb scarts ( the old fashioned way ) or component leads , which I find give the best picture

I also havent seen any improvements on any I have set up on other people`s tellys

SD is SD , simple as that , upscaling is a myth to sell the units

but I refuse to get involved with the debate for or against upscaling

the fact is that if you have a HD input on your tv , you should feed it from a HD source , as that is the only way you will see any significant improvements

you wont get 1080 HD on it , you will get upscaled SD , totally different

as far as I am concerned , set it up with scarts so you know its working correctly , familiarise yourself with the controls , and then add the hdmi cable and see if you perceive any differences or improvements , but most members here seem to agree there is no improvement over than what the tv can do for itself

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  10. Elaine J

Elaine J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ramjet,

Thanks for your opinion on upscaling and it's helped me to further understand, to me, this complicated system.
    Regards
    Elaine