Recordable DVD Sound Quality?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gordon WT, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've just ordered a Panny E30 and I'm wondering how the sound quality compares to a Nicam VHS. I've found that DVD players tend to be a bit quieter than VHS and don't like the idea of turning up the telly to watch a recording then switching to Sky and being deafened by the sudden change in volume!!

Also, while I'm here!!, how many hours can you record on an average disc at a reasonable picture quality?

Cheers!

Gordon

2. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If this is your first post, then welcome. I've learnt much from my brief involvement, so I'm happy to do the honours.

I am not in a position to answer your question, but I would be very interested to learn what owners/demo'ers of the DVD Recorders think of their playback ability. I nearly went for the Phillips 880 as my first entry into DVD as I wish to retire my aged Nicam Panny VCR.

ditton

3. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Gordon I still find the same problem wrt sound volume as with most dvd players. I've no idea why this is.

Sound and picture qulity is superb when you use the 2 hr recording mode. 4hr mode does show some degradation but not much and 6 hr is about vhs mode. But you can use flexible recording to optimise picture quality for any time period.

I've only had my machine a couple of weeks but I think it's outstanding. My favourite feature is chasing-playback so I can watch and record at the same time or pause "live" tv.

The first dvd-r disc I recorded worked fine on my mates dvd player and he thought the quality was excellent (2hr mode used).

Hope this helps

4. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Bogside!

I bought the E30 and I'm happy with it so far. I just wish I had a spare RGB scart socket on my Panny 32" PL10. I have a Panny HT70 DVD surround sound system and that takes up the S-Video scart. The HT70 is not RGB capable but gives an excellent picture on S-Video. I plugged the E30 into the Video scart of the Sky Digital STB and I could enable the RGB output but if I do that I can't record from analogue and watch Sky at the same time, which is no use. The picture through normal video is OK but not as good as RGB.

All modern tv's should come with at least 3 RGB scarts these days!!!

Gordon